Cant get fast on keyboard

Last Updated:

1. Slice28

Slice28 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know this is a personal problem and not one with the phone itself, but its really frustrating that I just cant seem to get fast at all with this keyboard. It honestly seems like it dosent even keep up with my fingers and isnt always responsive when I press a key quickly. I tried taking off of the auto-correct and spell-suggestion functionalities and still have the same problem. One of the reasons why this is such a huge problem for me is because I am used to typing blazing fast, on a computer I type about 80wpm and on every phone that I have ever had with a keyboard I never actually tested myself but I had to be typing even quicker than 80wpm, I was suppppper fast without even looking at the phone about 50 percent of the time (in school). I knew that it would be harder to type on a touch screen phone, although I thought the massive screen would it make it pretty easy, and I messed around a little with the touch keyboard on the cliq and I started to pick it up a little but I just cant seem to get fast at all on the Evo. So I just wanted to know if anybody has any tips for me or any altv. keyboards that I can use, although I did try a couple already (pro keyboard and droid x keyboard) and none of them really seemed to make any difference. Also I want to point out that I had the ipod touch for about a year now and I am very quick at typing onthat even though I hardly ever have to type on it. So suggestions anyone ???????

Advertisement
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Input is better on the iPhone/iPod...I know the feeling.

3. htcevolee

htcevolee Well-Known Member

Turn off the Sound and vibrate feedback and calibrate your finger touch precision. All this is under the Language and kb settings.

midget likes this.
  4. Slice28

@htcevolee .. did all that long ago lol

5. swazey

swazey Well-Known Member

maybe swype would be best for you?? have you tried that keyboard yet? i personally like and am using the droid x keyboard. i like it better than the stock htc one because there are no arrow keys taking up space.

i also find myself mistyping words or hitting the wrong letter, not as much in landscape. just stick with it. this is my first all touch screen phone and i am still getting used to it. practice makes perfect

6. ODog2323

ODog2323 Well-Known Member

Coming from iPhone I was having the same problem. Just couldn't get used to the stock keyboard and felt like I was typing with a speed handicap. Yesterday I got the Droid X keyboard on there though and it made a HUGE difference right away. Another day or two and I'll be cruising like I've been used to.

7. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

I came from an iPhone to the evo and its almost the same to me. only problem I have is sometimes I hit space and it doesn't put a space like I missed it. Just practice you will get use to it.

8. DarkNeo

DarkNeo Well-Known Member

You could always go back to the Iphone...

9. Slice28

yeaa maybe ill give the droid x keyboard some more time and see how it works out for me.. @swazey .. i did try the swype keyboard on the cliq and i deffinitley liked it a lot, however i feel as though a regular keyboard is more accurate, but i would like to get swype on my Evo especially since its a much larger screen than the cliq, however i cant find a good download for it (every time i try it says something like trial period is over)

10. Shadax

Shadax Well-Known Member

My biggest issue is the placement of the "." key next to space. I hit it allll the time and when I'm in a rush my messages.look.like.this.

I think I noticed this more after rooting and adding the DamageControl rom, but it could be coincidence.

And yes, the arrows at the bottom are annoying as well. If I fat finger the space to low I'll hit an arrow and end up typing halfway into another word.

I think I need to give this Droid X keyboard a shot.

11. hawt

hawt Well-Known Member

Might not be the right thread, but is there an easier way to type a comma on the Droid X keyboard?

The . button also has the , on it, but I can't figure out how to choose , without just holding the button down and choose it from the pop up.

12. burgertime

burgertime Well-Known Member

The fastest I can do is with Touch Pal using the "number pad" format like on a clamshell phone. I can't quite go as fast with Swype. The multitouch keyboard you just end up making to many mistakes on.

13. swazey

swazey Well-Known Member

hit the ".," once for a period, twice for comma. hold it down for other characters :)

its like hitting space bar twice inserts period and a space.

14. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

If you can't get fast on the droidx keyboard, you don't really want to.

15. Jensen

Jensen Well-Known Member

Use the HTC_IME keyboard. It is WAY WAY WAY better than the stock HTC one.

16. iamtybaby

iamtybaby Banned

Smart keyboard has an iphone like keyboard. Works pretty good! Try it..oh free version doesnt have spell check..dont know whats that about

17. iamtybaby

iamtybaby Banned

Lls i have the same problem..i know dam well i be hitting that space key

18. Shadax

Shadax Well-Known Member

Yeah this is atrocious. I think the keyboard is what I miss the most from the iPhone. People would be blown away if they saw me texting on that thing, but the evo... damn... I am constantly cursing at this thing over keyboard performance.

I couldn't seem to find the htc_ime keyboard... and the Droid X had all complaints that it was just a link and not an actual app..

I just need one with a longer space key and no stinking arrows.

19. tmac4life

tmac4life Well-Known Member

I was exactly in your boat until I found the HTC_IME keyboard and it will keep up with you like no other keyboard. This is a must download, seriously wouldn't be able to use the Evo without it.

[MOD] HTC_IME (8th June) v27: Small fix - xda-developers

Shadax likes this.
  20. Shadax

Shadax Well-Known Member

Cool, I'll take your word on it. I'm gonna give it a shot once I get a spare moment to install it.

Very appreciated.

21. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

i'm super fast with the droid x keyboard and swype. i'd say on par with my old iPhone 3GS. i typically stick with the droid x keyboard, though. and i hardly ever go into landscape.

22. jaime2563

jaime2563 Member

I'm using a SWYPE version keyboard for the EVO with no expiration. I love swype and with the EVO's large screen it makes typing a breeze and MUCH better than the Droid X keyboard.

23. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

Can you expand on how it's "much better" than the DroidX k/b?

24. Slice28

well i just installed the HTC_IME keyboard.. its basically the same exact thing as the default sense keyboard just without the little directional cursors at the bottom.. and a few other things slightly rearranged. barley makes any difference what so ever to me.. and it seems like in landscape its the exact same thing as the default

25. Slice28

nvm its different in landscape as well.. with the same removal of the directional cursors.. but everything feels pretty much the same to me.. the problem isnt the keys being too small really.. i mean the screen is huge so the keys are going to be big no matter what. the real problem is that it dosent keep up.. its always a step behind which dosent only cause me to slow down but also causes frequent errors which requires me to back track.. and yes i took all of the haptic feedback off and spell correction, etc.. and also did the calibration thing