can't get fring to work

Last Updated:

1. 355spider

355spider Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

it just keeps hanging up on me. any help? it dials a 1 before the number. I tried putting a 1 n before my number in the settings but no dice.

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

You're using Fring to make phone calls? Are you trying to make Skype international calls or something?

3. 355spider

sorry skype calls

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Gotcha.

I don't know how that's going to work for you - this is a Fring front end for the Skype protocol/cloud, so not all Skype client features are there.

Fring itself is ok - it's designed to be a one-size-fits-all messenger - read: can't fit everything, and Fring itself advertises for only free calls (read: user account) on most of its services.

I presume you're trying to save on minutes to landlines with the $80 plan, not too bad a plan, actually...

I think you'll be stuck until Skype widens their client support for "just works" capability.

Meanwhile, check this out, follow your nose to RF Dialer, and watch what they say about VoIP violating your terms of service if done over the 3G net -

Android VOIP - voip-info.org

5. gwap

gwap Member

skype is terrible on fring to me, my contacts never show up online i have to subscribe and unsubscribe and sometimes that does not work. Then when i try to do a video call with my wife she can see me on her computer but i just see a still shot of her or nothing at all.

6. akkidy

akkidy Well-Known Member

I got mine to work without problem. I have Skypeout. I'm able to use SIP with fring too. Did you add the plus + sign before 1 when you made the call? Fring with Skype works both on WiFi and 3G.

7. mtrajano00

mtrajano00 Well-Known Member

If you ever get it to work let me know Im new to Android and Fring and I want to try it out. So if you want to test it let me know Ill test it with you.

8. PapiLou

PapiLou Member

Just my $0.02 but I have had problems with Fring from the first time i installed it. I continue to have trouble signing into my Fring account also. This morning the resolution was switching off the work Wifi in my office to a 3G signal and I connected. I have always had problems with Skype and making receiving calls, seeing contacts online. Very frustrating app for me so far.

9. 355spider

Ok still can't get a fring video call to work. I watched the video and it shows a blue video icon when you try and dial a number out. I don't get that. I just have a cellular button, a skype out, and an SIP button but no video button. Am I dialing out wrong? If I try and make a skype call it just hangs up and won't dial out.

10. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Fring has disabled Skype ability for now

Fring fraks Skype access, iPhone blamed | Android Central

11. 355spider

12. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Oh I thought you were talking about Skype my bad. I haven't used fring, sorry I can't help.