• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't get metamorph to work

dodger55fan

Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
Hi, so I installed metamorph and when I click to start checks it gives me the following error: "Some files could not be extracted and set up. Please make sure you have enough free space in /system and that Busybox is installed!"

I checked the /system, I had about 20MB free space, moved some stuff and got to 30MB (useless stuff like the Corporate Calendar, etc ... I saved it elsewhere in case I need to move it back). Anyways, that didn't work. So next I tried downloading another version of busybox through Titanium Backup, still no luck. I googled the problem and tried entering this code in the terminal emulator:

Fix busybox

su

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox

mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

sync

reboot

...but when I enter "Fix busybox" I get a permission denied message ... still tried the rest of the above code and Metamorph still isn't working. Any ideas?

What rom are you running? When you tried using titanium to fix busy box what did it say. Thats the easiest way to fix a busybox issue.

Long way

BusyBox
download busybox binary to your adb tools directory
http://www.alldroid.org/download/file.php?id=709
cd to your adb tools directory

adb push busybox /data/local/busybox
adb shell
su
cd /data/local
chmod 755 busybox
./busybox
mkdir /system/xbin
/data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/xbin
/data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/bin
cd /system/xbin
busybox --install .
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
sync
reboot

Upvote 0
no rom, just 2.1 rooted, when I installed busybox through Titanium Backup it said it installed and when I reopen Titanium Backup up it says I have "BusyBox 1.15.3 from app"

I'll try what you posted, hopefully that'll work, I'm assuming that's from the computer since you said to download the busybox binary to the adb tools directory or is it still through the Terminal Emulator?

Edit: also your link isn't working, I'm sure I can just google for the binary though

Upvote 0
What rom are you running? When you tried using titanium to fix busy box what did it say. Thats the easiest way to fix a busybox issue.

Long way

BusyBox
download busybox binary to your adb tools directory
http://www.alldroid.org/download/file.php?id=709
cd to your adb tools directory

adb push busybox /data/local/busybox
adb shell
su
cd /data/local
chmod 755 busybox
./busybox
mkdir /system/xbin
/data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/xbin
/data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/bin
cd /system/xbin
busybox --install .
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
sync
reboot

everything worked except this line of code, when i tried to install it said busybox: /data/local/bin/____: No such file or directory" over and over ... is there supposed to be a period after the install because I didn't put it thinking it was a mistake...?

Upvote 0
I was just browsing the forum when I came across this thread and now I am curious. I have rooted my droid and am still running 2.0.1 because Rom Manager and my phone are not on speaking terms. I don't know why. I rooted the long way all the way through and then installed Droidmod which works fine. I have busybox, obviously but am curious about how you get it back through Titanium if you unroot your phone and then reroot it to 2.1. Please explain.

Upvote 0
I was just browsing the forum when I came across this thread and now I am curious. I have rooted my droid and am still running 2.0.1 because Rom Manager and my phone are not on speaking terms. I don't know why. I rooted the long way all the way through and then installed Droidmod which works fine. I have busybox, obviously but am curious about how you get it back through Titanium if you unroot your phone and then reroot it to 2.1. Please explain.

There is no reason at all to unroot in your situation. Just flash a different rom and see if Rom Manager works then. if you flash this [ROM] ESE81 Completely Stock With Proper Root, SU, & Baseband you will have plain jane 2.1 but rooted. If rom manager still doesnt work then its time to start trouble shooting.

Upvote 0
Mr. OMJ,

Thank you!... very much.

I needed busybox installed, didn't know all the necessary commands to manually push with ADB, and even though Titanium said it had installed busybox, Metamorph STILL would not work... said busybox was not installed.

Thanks to your instructions, I now have Metamorph working!

I owe you a beer, PM me if you want to collect :D

Upvote 0
Mr. OMJ,

Thank you!... very much.

I needed busybox installed, didn't know all the necessary commands to manually push with ADB, and even though Titanium said it had installed busybox, Metamorph STILL would not work... said busybox was not installed.

Thanks to your instructions, I now have Metamorph working!

I owe you a beer, PM me if you want to collect :D

No problem...I appreciate the offer for the beer but no need. Buy one for your favorite dev instead. As long as its not Blackdroid

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones