• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't Get Some PDF Attachments

neanders2

Mar 30, 2011
So I just bought the EVO 4G and all in all, I'm quite impressed. Having said that, I did find one nagging issue. A while back, while still on AT&T, I tried the HTC Aria. I would have kept it, but I couldn't get PDF attachments from my ecommerce store to come through (a Yahoo store, hosted on Yahoo servers). The email showed up, but the attachment (the actual order) did not. I couldn't download it either.

Fast forward to now, about six months later. I bought the EVO and after setting up my email, all appeared well until I had a similar problem. A vendor sent me a few order acknowledgements for a purchase order, all PDF formatted. None of them came though, and when I try to click and open them, I get a message saying, "Attachments are missing. Do you want to download them again?" When I try to download them as prompted, they still don't come through. It's worth pointing out that I'm speaking of my work email, which is POP3, and based on Yahoo Business Mail. Again, Yahoo servers being used.

So, does anyone know if there is a Yahoo server issue that prevents certain attachments from coming through? Apparently it's not a widespread issue, because I logged into my Frontier email account and sent a test message to myself that came right through. I figured I'd head to the Sprint store tomorrow and see if any of the employees can help me out.

One other small issue...my outbox in the same POP3 account can't send one message. it's been stuck for about 30min now, and I keep getting a notice from the phone that there's one message stuck ("Unable to send mail."). Just seems interesting that it's the same POP3 account. I can tell you that my Yahoo Biz Mail is working fine. I NEVER had this issue with my BB or on my computer using Outlook.

Sorry for such a lengthy first post, but I really want to get this resolved and not abandon the Android platform again. Plus, the EVO 4G is really slick!

For grins

Do yo have your gmail account set up on the phone? Can you forward it and try opening it via gmail?

I tried that, and Gmail gave me a message saying there was an error opening the document. The attachment notification displays at the bottom right of the message, and I hit the preview button. Then, the error message came.

I went back to Outlook and double-checked the attachments, which display just fine there. I also checked the Yahoo System Status page to make sure I'm not subject to an ongoing server issue, and there's not posting.

I really don't get it. Now I have the PDF issue and I can't send mail from my POP3 account.

Upvote 0
OK...more silly things to try

Have you tried over wifi or 4g?

Try clearing data and cache for adobe reader then uninstall it.
Reinstall adobebreader from the market.

It sounds like it just isn't downloading the file which could be connection related or it may be a compatibility issue.

On occassion I get large PDF files from my advertising guy that are not compatible but they dload and reader tries to open them and give a not compatible document error

I had this issue once.with gmail but it was any attatchment and was completely hit or miss. I narrowed it down to crappy 3g

Upvote 0
So I just thought I'd send a couple screen shots to demonstrate what's happening. Today I tried sending myself (from one email address to my other one). Attached was a 5kB PDF, here's the results.

Android1.jpg

Android2.jpg

So in summary, I get the email and it indicates there's an attachment. I try to view it and I get the message that it's missing. When I attempt to re-download it, I get the little broker arrow icon with the exclamation mark. That's it, that's the end of the road as best I can tell. Sometimes, no attachment comes through at all (not even an option to download it).

This whole situation really has me considering a switch to the HTC Arrive that runs WM7. Sorry, I know that's not a real popular chocie on this forum, but I don't like spending all my free time trying to make this work.

Reactions: Bogdanbadea34
Upvote 0
I was searching the internet for the same issue and I finally found someone with the same issue! I need help on this also on my htc desire z!
Please send me also a solution please on bogdanbadea34@yahoo.com
I tried to forward one of the non working 0kb attachement on another mail and it's blank!

The issue is available for .xls files as well wich is very bad for business!

Many many thanks!

Upvote 0
I was searching the internet for the same issue and I finally found someone with the same issue! I need help on this also on my htc desire z!
Please send me also a solution please on bogdanbadea34@yahoo.com
I tried to forward one of the non working 0kb attachement on another mail and it's blank!

The issue is available for .xls files as well wich is very bad for business!

Many many thanks!

Here is solution.
Unmount your SD card from setting (not remove the card directly from the device)
You will able to see any doc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones