Can't go "back" in browser to a google search results pageSupport

1. opuntia2

opuntia2 Active Member

This started about one month ago, but for some reason if I go to a webpage from a google search results page, and when I hit the "back" button to go back to the search results it just skips it. It'll go back to the webpage that I was at before I did a search.

Anybody else seen this?

Advertisement
  2. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

I just tried it with the stock browser and mine goes back to the search page and not the one before it.

Are you using the stock browser?
    Maybe its the web page doing the fiddling?

... Thom
  3. opuntia2

opuntia2 Active Member

Yes, I'm using the stock browser. It happens with any search I do so I don't think it's a specific page causing the problem.
  4. Thom

Sorry ... I cannot get it to fail.

... Thom
  5. Beckdroid

Beckdroid Well-Known Member

Mine's been doing it too!
  6. droidosis

droidosis Well-Known Member

Menu, Manage Apps, All

Scroll down to browser... Tap it

Clear data, then Clear cache

you will lose your bookmarks and cookies probably

It should fix it.

-droidosis-
    JOHNBUDMAN, Thom and Beckdroid like this.
  7. GeoLund

GeoLund Member

Yes, my new bionic is doing that also with the stock browser! It makes web browsing very difficult. :-( Are there settings somewhere that will help us? Like open search results in a new window? I will mess with it more and let you all know if I find a solution.

Geo
  8. opuntia2

opuntia2 Active Member

Thanks, but I tried that already. It didn't fix it for me.
  9. New Rising

New Rising Well-Known Member

I've actually been having this problem too lately, kind of annoying. I've been using dolphin hd which helps a little.
  10. opuntia2

opuntia2 Active Member

Ditto, I switched to dolphin HD also. At least it's a great app, but I'm not a big fan of how tab switching work, but it's a trade-off I can live with.
  11. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Dolphin does the same on mine if I search from the address bar. The only solution I've found is to open link in new window.
  12. New Rising

Yeah Dolphin has been doing the same for me too now, is this some kind of bug with the new software update or something? It doesn't seem like everyone is having this problem though.
  13. Somniferum

Somniferum Well-Known Member

I get the same problem in both the stock browser and Dolphin HD. I found another workaround, which is to search from the Google app (I use the widget) instead of the address bar of Dolphin. This fixes the issue (so far at least).
  14. New Rising

Wouldn't this be the same results as just using the search button? Since I have Dolphin as my default browser it automatically links to Dolphin when i search something but i still get the same problem.
  15. Somniferum

Somniferum Well-Known Member

Just tested it and using the search button also fixes the problem for me. Not sure why. Searching from the Dolphin HD address bar still causes the issue.
  16. caustic

caustic Well-Known Member

Did anyone ever find a fix for this? I have the same problem with my razr. It doesn't seem to happen if I remove the browser-android bit of text from the address bar (it's stuck in there on google searches, even when I'm viewing from desktop mode ). I wonder if dolphin HD ' s search bar uses some but in functionality of the stock browser, which I think might have been replaced by a modified Motorola one on the bionic and razr.
  17. ofcluke528

ofcluke528 New Member

Have this issue and you can get around it with irony... doesn't happen when using yahoo.
  18. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

You guys sure that your search results aren't opening in a new window????
  19. &roid

&roid Well-Known Member

A demonstration of the "Can't go "back" in browser to a google search results page" problem.
    Watch as I start on the AndroidForums page, go to Google via the factory installed bookmark, perform a Google search, choose a result, view that Wikipedia page, then press the "BACK" soft button on the Droid Bionic and it brings me back to the AndroidForums page.... NOT GOOGLE SEARCH. I then press menu:forward and again skip over the Google Search page, and go straight to the Wikipedia page.

Throughout the video I demonstrate that only one window is open during the entire video.
    This is a bone stock Bionic running the official OTA 5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.USGoogle Search Problem on Droid Bionic - YouTube
  20. Thom

I tried the example in the video and it works correctly for me.

I suggest that this is a "feature" of Google Search and you might get some help form the Google Help Forum ... the best I could find was ... http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web+Search?hl=en.

Perhaps a condition is being set when you leave Search and go to the web page. For some reason when you return from the webpage you return to Google search and it immediately return to the previous page.

... Thom
  21. IMAZMAN

IMAZMAN Member

My Motorola Atrix just started doing this today! Is making me mad...makes me re-run the search if i clicked a link that wasnt what i was looking for. Perhaps its a ploy to force more data usage! Or perhaps its a virus. Anyone find a solution? Im using stock browser, android 2.3.4. I tried clearing cashe, cookies, and all other clear optio z. Tried turning off plugins too and also rebooted the phone...nothing works!
  22. Bionic2

Bionic2 Member

I got a brand new phone and mine does it.
  23. Thom

This seems to be a strong second vote for a Google Search bug. See ... Click Here.

... Thom
  24. Thom

25. IMAZMAN

IMAZMAN Member

Either your link didn't take me to anything relevant or I'm not understanding your comment. Can you create a direct link to the solution or describe it for me.
    Tx