• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't hear phone calls..3.5mm jack bug

themessenger

Dec 29, 2010
The other night I used my phone to stream music at a party. I woke up yesterday and I no longer could hear anything from my phone. I hooked up some headphones so that I could hear my voicemail.. I looked at some other threads and someone suggested to do a nandroid backup. I did that, reflashed velocity etc and my ringtones and notification tones now work, but still I cannot hear the other person through the earpiece, and they can not hear me through the mic. Speaker phone is still greyed out. I've tried running a 3.5mm jack in and out and also blew the hole out with duster with no luck. This isn't my original phone, so verizon warranty won't cover it, and my original phone has a cracked screen so the customer service rep said they won't take that one either.

The other night I used my phone to stream music at a party. I woke up yesterday and I no longer could hear anything from my phone. I hooked up some headphones so that I could hear my voicemail.. I looked at some other threads and someone suggested to do a nandroid backup. I did that, reflashed velocity etc and my ringtones and notification tones now work, but still I cannot hear the other person through the earpiece, and they can not hear me through the mic. Speaker phone is still greyed out. I've tried running a 3.5mm jack in and out and also blew the hole out with duster with no luck. This isn't my original phone, so verizon warranty won't cover it, and my original phone has a cracked screen so the customer service rep said they won't take that one either.

It is most likely a hardware issue.

Form the sounds of it you have 2 ally
If I remember correctly, you dont need to break any stickers to take the phone apart. You should be able to take the entire digitizer/screen assembly off the no audio one and put it on the original one, This may not fix the hw failure, but at the very least it would allow them to return it under warranty

Upvote 0
I used my Ally as a music player in my jeep and everything was working fine until I unplugged from the radio. I could receive phone calls but could not hear anyone nor could they hear me. I fixed it by taking the headphone adapter that I used for my car radio dipped the tip of the plug into some rubbing alcohol and inserted it back into my Ally headphone jack about 3 times. Once doing this my phone started working normally. Simple fix but frustrating at the same time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones