1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Cant import contacts

1. thorbarry

thorbarry Member

Hey Guys,

I've been googling this for a while now to no avail. I exported my contacts from the phone, using the default dialler. They exported as a .VEF file.

Now after loading a custom rom, I cant import this .VEF file. I cant seem to find any info on how to. I tried opening in excel, I tried importing it into gmail contacts. Nothing works.

Any help would be much appreciated

Advertisement
  2. biker57

biker57 VIP Member VIP Member

Sign into Google contacts with the email address you use and at the bottom of the left hand grouping you will see an option to import contacts. This is where you can work with the file type you have.
    scotty85 likes this.
  3. thorbarry

thorbarry Member

I've tried this and it doesn't work. It doesn't display an error or anything. I am not sure why the phone exported it as a VEF and not a VCF.
    scotty85 likes this.
  4. thorbarry

thorbarry Member

I'm still at a loss on this one. I can't find info on .vef files anywhere
    scotty85 likes this.
  5. clsA

clsA Well-Known Member Guide

only option I get is CSV files from gmail contacts Export

OK exporting on the phone gives the .vcf file
    did you choose to password protect the contact list ?

Attached Files:

thorbarry and scotty85 like this.
  6. thorbarry

thorbarry Member

That's the screen I seen but it exported as a vef. Weird. Yep I put a password on the file when exporting.
  7. thorbarry

thorbarry Member

Any more ideas on this one? What is frustrating is that I exported 2 copies of the contacts with a password on it, and both of the files are VEF files :S
  8. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

sorry,no ideas from me. :(

im assuming that youve got your contacts saved as phone contacts,and are trying to get them from one rom to another?

if this is the case,you may be worth the effort to go thru them one by one and convert them all to google contacts so that signing into gmail automatically downloads them.

if thats not the case,maybe a bit of explanations as to why youre exporting them would help.
  9. Harryday

Harryday New Member

10. Harryday

Harryday New Member

I am pretty sure he meant the google contacts in the web interface. It worked for me. https://www.google.com/contacts/ At the bottom left it says import and it allows you to upload the unzipped vef file.
    scotty85 likes this.