• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't input text

GeraldCmin6

Lurker
Sep 26, 2012
My phone has spontaneously stopped me from entering text. It highlights all the letters (and the words, when I swype) but doesn't put them into whichever app is being used. Different keyboards don't make any difference.

I've seen this problem from the point of app developing but don't know how to fix it on my phone (which is a Desire S running ICS).

Futher, I've just noticed that it cannot connect to my wifi for some reason and something is draining the battery heavily. It was fully charged 5 hours ago and is now on 14% (without any major use).

Are these things related? Has anyone encountered a similar problem and has an easy fix?

My phone has spontaneously stopped me from entering text. It highlights all the letters (and the words, when I swype) but doesn't put them into whichever app is being used. Different keyboards don't make any difference.

I've seen this problem from the point of app developing but don't know how to fix it on my phone (which is a Desire S running ICS).

Futher, I've just noticed that it cannot connect to my wifi for some reason and something is draining the battery heavily. It was fully charged 5 hours ago and is now on 14% (without any major use).

Are these things related? Has anyone encountered a similar problem and has an easy fix?

Hello and welcome, Gerald. Strange issues can crop up if an OTA has recently come to a device, especially if the cache and cache partition were not cleared prior to (and for good measure, after) the update is installed. I'd suspect that first.

The second thing I'd suspect is an app/widget or two which is not playing nice with the system.

The remedy is the good old factory data reset. :)

Be sure to back up things you really need, but be careful about 3rd party widgets because one of those may be contributing to the issues, and when you do the restore from backup you run a risk of importing those issues back into the system. It's a bit more tedious, to have to put them back in one at a time, test for issues, then move on to the next one, but worth it. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones