1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Can't install app even when there is a lot memory left

1. LightOrion

LightOrion Well-Known Member

Hey according to Quick System Info, i have 793mb a2sd storage and 61.48 internal memory left. but when i tried to install third blade (40+mb), the market says i have insufficient storage space. So anyone has any idea what has happened?

i'm running MIUI_AU with 1gb ext4 and 32mb Swap. And i just installed a few apps and my internal memory goes plunging down. It seems my a2sd is not working =/

According to SD Card settings in MIUI, it says i have a2sd+ 793mb too..so i don't really know whats going on now..any help is greatly appreciated =)

Advertisement
  2. womb raider

womb raider Well-Known Member

I've noticed some apps are actually larger once downloaded than the size they state on the Market, maybe this is the case here?
  3. LightOrion

But even if its larger shouldnt i have more then enough space for anything? =/
    ToonTonic likes this.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

The /cache partition needs to have ebnough space to download the app. If the app is 40MB+ (i.e bigger than the cache partition), you cant download it.
    Tyseyh likes this.
  5. LightOrion

Sorry but how do you check for cache partition and how do you increase the partition?

And do you have any idea as to why my internal memory is still going down fast? i only have a few apps installed and i am now left with 61.48mb. =/
  6. DesireMe

DesireMe Well-Known Member

I had this with an app (Miui XJ). I rebooted and it worked next time.
  7. SUroot

Quick system info shows the size of the cache partition.
  8. DesireMe

I've just installed a few more apps and i've got the "Low on Space" message. What the hell is going on. I too have Miui (XJ) and the Apps2SD is 890MB, but Internal space is down from 148MB to 23MB.

I thought it used the ext3 partition to put stuff on and i'd never see this "Low on space" message again.

[​IMG]
  9. LightOrion

Hmmm...so does anyone knows how to increse this cache partition(mine is 40mb) and also as to why the internal memory is decreasing rapidly?

Is it possible that maybe it is because i'm using ext4 and the rom says to have ext3?
  10. SUroot

You can only increase cache partition by making the data partition even smaller.

40MB is the standard desire cache partition. What bloody app is this that is over 40MB?

What method of a2sd does it use? Is it dark tremor?

If so did you run the following from terminal emulator?

Code (Text):
    1. su
    2. a2sd cachesd
  11. DesireMe

I've been scanning the Miui forums for a solution too. It's a little above me right now. Seen this Dark Tremor mentioned, but in the rom link just a2sd ([ROM][MIUI-XJ] Oct 18-1.10.14 GB 2.3.5 EN-MULT+OTA+CM+Updater|D2EXT X-PART|A2SD+|D2W - xda-developers)

I didn't run the above, how do you go about doing it?
  12. SUroot

Miui XJ definitely uses the dark tremor script. That command is to move dalvik cache to the ext partition also.

It Literally is:

1) Download "terminal emulator" from the market, and run it.

2)Type "su" and press enter (su for superuser permission)

3)Type "a2sd cachesd" and press enter. This is the command to move dalvik.

When this completes, the phone will reboot, clear dalvik cache and rebuild it on the EXT partition. Could be a slightly longer boot process.
    DesireMe likes this.
  13. LightOrion

But MIUI_au isn't using darktremor..it says here "We at MIU-Au were not happy with this and some other aspects of DT so we built our own A2SD, which we call PC-A2SD. Features of PC-A2SD are: Invisible, automatic, no command line interface and nothing for the user to do. Automatically puts Dalvik cache on SD Card."

So i guess the dalvik cache is already moved to the ext 4?
  14. SUroot

Sounds like it yes.
    LightOrion likes this.
  15. DesireMe

Thanks SU!

I've ran that. (I did see an error: Problem Detected - DarkTremor may not have booted/started properly) but the phone rebooted and this is how QSI looks.

[​IMG]

So has it worked now?
  16. LightOrion

Glad that it worked for you =)

Okay now back to the main topic...Is there any way i can install apps that are above 40mb?
  17. SUroot

You still haven't told me which app it is

Edit, Gaz, have the values changed? Can't answer out of context
  18. LightOrion

Its a game app called third blade. =/
  19. SUroot

As its a free app, this is not breaking any rules or anything.

Download to pc and install from sd card. Follow link, right click downloadfile.apk and save as

Pm me when you're finished as I want to delete it off there

http://www.mattman.org/rootsu/rootSU/not_for_download/
    LightOrion likes this.
  20. SaMiDaRe

SaMiDaRe New Member

I want to install the Third Blade on my phone too. Can you help me please??
  21. SUroot

If your cache partition is too small, the only real way to get it downloaded is to get an apk and put it on your sd card and install via a file browser.

I would e-mail the developer and let them know your problem.
  22. Griff_LI

Griff_LI Well-Known Member

Or switch to dGB which installs it fine (all 50MB) - nice job SURoot !
    SUroot likes this.
  23. SUroot

He probably doesnt even have a desire ;)
  24. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

Moved this to the correct forum.