• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't install app, not enough space?

Hi, I have a stock Eris and the other day my sdcard went to shit. I learned this from when I got the new swype beta email and went to download the .apk. It told me a sdcard was required (I had never taken the sdcard out of the phone to being with).

Anyways I brought it to verizon and the guy said it was done and gave me a 16gb card (8 was in there previously). So now I was able to download the .apk file; however when I try to click on it to install it says I can't because there is not enough space. on the phone

Now I don't know how much for it is required. But I have 14gb on the card available and 25mg on the internal phone storage. Now since uninstalling swype and trying to download I haven't added any more apps that would take up additional space. I've actually uninstalled a few, so I should have more space than I did before this whole thing started.

Any help is appreciated.

Now I don't know how much for it is required. But I have 14gb on the card available and 25mg on the internal phone storage. Now since uninstalling swype and trying to download I haven't added any more apps that would take up additional space. I've actually uninstalled a few, so I should have more space than I did before this whole thing started.

Perhaps you have some application caches that could be cleared to free up space? Go to Settings>Applications>Manage applications, and wait for the whole list to finish loading (takes about a minute). Then sort the list by size, and click on each of the first five or ten to see if they have a "Clear Cache" button. If so, click it. You will not lose any important data, so long as you make sure you're clicking "Clear Cache" and NOT "Clear Data". Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
The easiest way to take care of this kind of problem is to root and install a2sd. I ran into this problem before I rooted, but now I download and install just about every app I'm curious about.

I'm not a fan of a2sd since I still have the original class 2 card that came with the phone. However, another option (if rooted) is to use xtrROM or xtrSense, in which the dalvik-cache directory is moved from /data/dalvik-cache to /cache/dalvik-cache, thus freeing up about 70MB of space in the /data block for more apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones