1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Can't obtain wifi address in my home

1. thindery

thindery Well-Known Member

I've had wifi in my house for years. As I type these devices are connected: ps3, desktop, laptop, wife's iphone. Everything works fine. I walked in the house with my Captivate and it can't obtain an IP address. The password is right. It gets to "Obtaining IP address" but then it says "Unsuccessful." I have never ever had a device issue connecting to my wifi. Numerous family/friend phones have connected without a glitch.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. crashcarruthers

crashcarruthers Well-Known Member

Check the router WEP Or WAP code it is not the computer network password. It is usually printed on the unit(router) somewhere and put that in for your password and I bet the phone will work on your home wifi.
  3. tom068098

tom068098 New Member

Most wifi units set how many devices can be connect, I beleive the max is 255 but most are set to something like 10. Log on to you router and see if the limitation is set low. Also if you have an open router (no security enabled), your neighbors may be maxing you out.
  4. thindery

thindery Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. Tried them but it still didn't work. I knew it was an issue with my router. I noticed authentication was "WPA-PSK" only. I changed it to "WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK". I'm not really sure what the differences are... but it worked!
  5. crashcarruthers

crashcarruthers Well-Known Member

Glad you got it fixed. Good Luck.
  6. sselter

sselter New Member

I am having the same issue, I cannot get my phone to connect, I looked on the router, DO NOT see a WEP or WAP # I've tried the other things written on it, but NOTHING works just keeps saying, obtaining IP address. Please Help I have road runner router.
  7. js593

js593 Well-Known Member

If your computer is able to connect to the router, this is NOT a wep/WAP key issue. Remove the network from your list of networks on your phone, and try to re-input the number. If it says its not "allowing" the IP to be obtained, one may need to be set manually.