• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cant open jpgs, cant open music, nothing!!

BryanAsus

Jun 21, 2014
Very very odd. I betchya no one heard of this one. So odd I don't even know how to ask it.

OK, I dropped my Samsung Galaxy S5 Active. The screen broke. So, I got a new one. I installed everything over again, but - everything on the SD card doesn't work. Everything as in JPGs (photos I took with that phone), MP3s (Songs i played on that phone - ringtones and all). They just won't open!

To make things even more strange, when I put the SD card into my computer, same thing! The photos won't show a thumbnail. The mp3s won't play. What happened? They all worked on my old phone! They don't work on my new one, OR the computer!

That's impossible... I better not have lost all my photos and music. :( I even tried a scandisk of the MicroSD card.

PLEASE, save my photos and music!!

Darn. I am not sure. I guess I'm of no use then. The formatting of the MicroSD is the way I got it from the store. I never formatted it, so whatever format it was in, is what I left it as.

And since the old phone is shipped back, I don't know what version OS was on it. :(

I still have the JPGs. The MP3s I don't care about, but the JPGs I do. I still have them. They just don't display on the laptop or new phone. So... Any way to convert them? Or open each one in a different program? I tried paint, and windows default. Even tried uploading one to Facebook. :(

Upvote 0
What version of Android was your old phone and what version is your new phone? How was/is your SD card formatted? If not formatted as 'portable' storage then your files may be unrecoverable.
I don't think that is likely, since Samsung didn't make adoptable storage available on the S7, and I can't see any sign that they did for the S5 either. Though if the card was encrypted for any reason it could explain this.

Upvote 0
Oh my God, you are absolutely correct. My workplace requires encryption. Since I'm using another company phone, it's probably the same encryption, would I be able to copy them back to my phone and see them properly? you guys are so damn smart! I guess I can try to copy them back to my phone and see if that works. I can't wait to try it now! Does anybody know for sure?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones