Can't play mp4 videos

1. AWBbox

AWBbox Member

Hey there,

I've had my HTC Desire for a couple of months now and it's truly a great phone! Today my 32Gb micro SD card arrived for it and I set about moving my media onto it. I wanted to see if I could watch movies on my phone so I set about converting one from a full HD .mkv file to an .mp4 using handbrake. I read up on what the best parameters are and stuck to them religiously.

800 x 480 dimensions

fps @ <30

Video codec - H.264

I can play other videos on it no problem but when it comes to my own it just says that it can't play them, I've tried Meridian (which seems unstable as hell btw) but that doesn't help. My file is a couple of gigs in size when the encoding is done but I'm not short on space so that's not such an issue.

I don't know why the phone is being so picky, can anyone please suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. AWBbox

AWBbox Member

OK, one hurdle passed! I forced the re-encoded audio into a stereo mix and now the video plays but the screen is blank. I can hear all the audio perfectly though, thoughts?
  3. croyde

croyde Well-Known Member

Sorry no help but I have the same problem. Great audio but a blank screen.
  4. Stainy

Stainy Member

What prog are you using to convert ?
  5. AWBbox

AWBbox Member

Handbrake 0.9.4
  6. croyde

croyde Well-Known Member

Someone suggested Mpeg Streamclip to convert so I have stuck a 23 min mp4 into it and nearly 4 hours later it's just finishing:eek:

Yet to find out if it works on the phone yet.
  7. croyde

croyde Well-Known Member

Forget that one then as it has gone into a loop and when finished just starts again. Must of done it a number of times whilst I was out.
  8. jonwlewis

jonwlewis Well-Known Member

I use Free Video Converter to convert all my divx th mp4 video. Thne I purchased Act 1 Video Player from the market. I have not had a single issue with any of my converted videos. I finally found a setup that works great!
  9. croyde

croyde Well-Known Member

Free video converter works for me but just had to fiddle with the settings. Mainly making sure that the new codec was Mpeg 4.
  10. Beerkan

Beerkan Well-Known Member

Advocate of Free Video Converter too. (see here Koyote Soft )

It can convert AVI, Mp4, iPod, PSP, 3GP, Zune, iPhone, MKV, WMV, ASF, MOV, QuickTime, MPEG, MPG2, RM, VCD, VOB, AVCHD MTS, M2TS

And amazingly it's free.. (You can buy Pro version for greater control)

Settings that play back on my Galaxy i5700 are.

Output Format: MP4
    Codec: MPEG-4
    Size: 480x320
    Aspect: 3:2
    FPS: 23.976
    BitRate: 1440
    Include Audio Track [x]
    Code: AAC
    Frequency: 44100
    Channel: 2
    BitRate: 128

Drop the BitRates if the source video is less than those above
  11. AWBbox

AWBbox Member

Cheers for the replies guys, by the time I got back to reading this thread again I had already downloaded Videora Android Video Converter: Videora Android Converter - Free Android Video Converter

The adds suck but it's free and worked first time! I might give that free video converter a go if this one doesn't work out but it's looking good so far. Got Avatar on my Desire and it looks sweeeeeeet :D

Lesson learned; Handbrake is too much of an arse to use for android phones :p
  12. I meet the same situation as you, I have a mp4 video with 720p, but my IS cannot replay it.
  13. What codec is it in? Mp4 is just a container.
  14. tigersfan1

tigersfan1 Well-Known Member

is it an itunes video?