Can't Root Captivate,

Last Updated:

1. mantazumanity

mantazumanity Member This Topic's Starter

I'm running leaked 2.2
    I am trying to root, I have the Update.Zip and everything, and when I press "Reinstall Packages" it says access denied, and won't let me root.

Advertisement
  2. Rhiannon224

Rhiannon224 Well-Known Member

There isn't a root package like that available for Froyo. I think you are using the root method for 2.1 which dosen't work with Froyo. The only method for rooting Froyo requires SDK tools and ADB method Captivate JI6 (v2.2) Hacks (root, non-market, no start up sound) - xda-developers.

Or you can try out a custom ROM which will root it for you [ROM]Cognition v2.2 BETA7 (FROYO) | v2.1.7 (ECLAIR) - xda-developers

Read as much as you can before modding your phone so you don't damage it and you know and understand what it is you are doing to your phone.

3. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

This is why it's critical to know what you're doing, do your research and check up on things like this before you go slapping on unofficial leaked internal development builds not meant for end-users.

This question has been discussed (and answered) in countless threads, so I have to wonder how you could've possibly missed it if you did the expected reading beforehand.

4. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

As rhiannon pointed out, the update.zip method wont work on 2.2, the method he pointed out does. Doent try the OCLF method either, that wont work on the 2.2 (unless it has been changed) but from what I heard ryan has abandoned the OCLF app so I wouldn't expect an update.

There is a thread in this subsection just about 8 threads down on this very topic and has lots of good info on the 2.2 root.