Can't seem to get rid of the bloatware!!!

Last Updated:

1. gesanjose

gesanjose Member This Topic's Starter

First I rooted with unrEVOked and found out we couldn't take full control of the phone - was only good for wifi tethering to my understanding. So I re rooted via Toast's way on XDA - man did that take FOREVER! ANyhow, I forgot to backup my 300+ contacts before doing so - I tried to sync with my gmail, but it didnt go thru. (FML!) So I have to restore my BB and try to sync with Outlook some how to get a CSV file to sync with google - again, FML! :mad:

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this phone!!! :p But man what a nightmare this is turning out to be. I have been working on it for 10 hours straight! and even missed the Laker game coz I wanted to get some results. Grrrr! :mad:

Anyhow, I only rooted to I could remove the bloatware and tether wifi for free! So far, thats all I can do after this long day. My question is:

How do you remove the bloatware? :confused::confused::confused: Please give a somewhat detailed instruction on how to do so and with what program/terminal did you use. I am proficient with both Mac n PC.;)

Thanks in advance!

Ge

Advertisement
  2. NSXLA

NSXLA Well-Known Member

I hope you have android tools installed.

Okay this is going to be quick, and maybe not all accurate but i got crap ware off my phone.....

1. Make sure your phone syncs with HTC SYNC reboot the computer if it doesn't connect to HTCSYNC SOFTWARE - , (i was stuck removing acts till this issue)

2.Boot in Android shock (white screen) recovery mode vol down+power button, choose recovery.

3.Once the phone gets to the screen with Red triangle and an ! connect it to the PC and double click, "recovery-windows.bat" in the "EVO-recovery" folder - which toast provided and you've used when rooting...

4.Now go to your regular command prompt in windows, and type or paste the following

"cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools"
    "mount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system" <- if it give mount fail try it after adb shell- can't remember in which sequence.
    "adb shell"
    "cd /system/app"
    now you can get a list of apps installed on your evo by typing
    "ls" there are apps on the left row and right row.
    to remove
    "rm Sprint_NASCAR.apk" if an app as odex along with it you will have to move that as well.
    so "rm Sprint_NASCAR.odex" <- bad example cause i think Sprint nascar is just .apk

again this is just a rough tutorial. Make sure don't delete anything a system might need! Will post one more thorough with screen shots later. Sorry.

gesanjose likes this.
  3. gesanjose

gesanjose Member This Topic's Starter

FINALLY! Thanks NSXLA for that detailed explanation on how to remove bloatware! I tried to follow the other posts on doing this, but failed to open a NEW cmd prompt window to do the actual editing. Oy Vey! Thanks again for your quick response and intuitive aid!

Here is an edited version of what you explained for those that had or WILL have the same problems as I had:

1. Phone syncs with HTC SYNC

2. Boot in Android shock (white screen) recovery mode;
    vol down+power button (shut down), vol down+power button (choose recovery).

3. Once the phone gets to the screen with Red triangle and !, connect it to the PC. double click: "recovery-windows.bat" in the "EVO-recovery" folder - which toast provided and you've used when rooting...

4. Make the necessary backups if you haven't done so already.

5. Now OPEN A NEW command prompt
    (goto: RUN ... type: "CMD") and type or paste the following:

"cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools"
    *OR* cd "C:\(whatever directory you saved tools in)\tools

"adb shell" [to open shell for programming]
    "mount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system" [to mount your phone]
    "cd /system/app" [to change directory]
    "ls" [to list apps installed]

to remove:

"rm Sprint_NASCAR.apk"

**If an app has odex along with it, you will have to move that as well.

Useful links:

List of apps other EVO users removed -
    Apps that are ok to remove with root - xda-developers
    Basic ADB programming -
    {tutorial} basics of ADB - xda-developers
    Rooting thru Toast's methods -
    {tutorial} how to root \0/ - xda-developers
    Detailed explanation... with PICTURES! :) ...of rooting your EVO -
    How to Root Your HTC Evo 4G! | HTC Evo 4G Hacks!

LOVE THIS FORUM!