• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cant send emails over wifi

Brettski15

Dec 4, 2012
Hi Everyone

This is my first post so if its in the wrong section I'm sorry!!

I have a Note 2 locked to Rogers running Jellybean 4.1.2. I have had the phone since December and have always had trouble with my Rogers email account. My Hotmail account works perfectly. I was first having trouble with my emails syncing meaning that it would only sync once in a while. Yes I had it set up to check the server every 5 minutes and had the sync icon on the pull down menu checked. Talked to Rogers and they solved that problem (surprisingly I got someone who knew what they were talking about), since then I can't send emails over WiFi. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated!! Also if anyone knows how to get a Rogers email account to set to push email instead of every 5 minutes that would be a huge help as well!! If any more info is needed just ask

Thanks

Hi Everyone

This is my first post so if its in the wrong section I'm sorry!!

I have a Note 2 locked to Rogers running Jellybean 4.1.2. I have had the phone since December and have always had trouble with my Rogers email account. My Hotmail account works perfectly. I was first having trouble with my emails syncing meaning that it would only sync once in a while. Yes I had it set up to check the server every 5 minutes and had the sync icon on the pull down menu checked. Talked to Rogers and they solved that problem (surprisingly I got someone who knew what they were talking about), since then I can't send emails over WiFi. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated!! Also if anyone knows how to get a Rogers email account to set to push email instead of every 5 minutes that would be a huge help as well!! If any more info is needed just ask

Thanks

When you try sending, do you get any sort of error message on your phone or do your messages that you try to send get saved in your drafts? Also, not trying to be a smart @ss, but have you doubled checked to make sure that your wifi is connected?

Upvote 0
Rogers uses Yahoo for email (like Bell uses MSN) and from what I can tell, it doesn't allow for push email. I have a Yahoo account setup and the least interval it allows is 5 mins. My Bell MSN account on the other hand allows push email.

Now Wi-Fi is a little difficult to figure out. It works fine for me and I have no issues with it on any of my email accounts. You say your Hotmail account gives no issues. By that, I can only guess that you also mean Wi-Fi works fine when sending/receiving from Hotmail? Did you test by sending a test email from your Hotmail account to your Rogers account? And try vice-versa Rogers to Hotmail?

If Hotmail works fine, but Rogers does not, then it has to be something in the settings that may be gumming things up. Did you double check SMTP and POP settings? Username and Password? Encryption?

Upvote 0
I get a msg saying "sending failed" and the email is stored in my outbox then when I turn WiFi off the msg sends. I can receive emails on WiFi with my Rogers account it just wont send them. And yes my Hotmail can send and receive over WiFi. What should my smtp and pop be set at...I do remember changing something when I was dealing with Rogers tech support.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Here is their support info on email settings:

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?Ntt=Email+Settings&N&_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=support_results

Try their PC server setttings instead of their wireless (if you do indeed have Rogers internet plan as well as their mobile plan).

The problem may be that they are restricting the use of email through their network only with their wireless settings. Notice how SMTP settings are different between PC and Wireless. I know Fido did this and Wi-Fi would not work for sending/receiving email. It strictly had to go through their network. Devioius way to use your data to access the email account. But that was many years ago and as Fido is a division of Rogers, not sure if any of that has changed.

I'm with Telus now and can't help further than this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones