• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't send gmail after nandroid restore?

thenestor

Android Expert
Dec 27, 2009
If you find yourself unable to send messages from the Gmail app after restoring a Nandroid backup (outbox emails perpetually say "sending..."), and you might also notice that emails you mark as read still show up as unread on your desktop Gmail, then you need to do this:

Settings: applications: manage applications
Wait for list to load...
Find "Gmail" and clear its data
Find "Gmail Storage" and clear its data
Reopen the Gmail app and wait for it to sync

You should be able to send Gmail again after that. Note that any unsent emails (the ones that said "sending...") will be permanently lost after you do this, so you'll need to recompose them.

If you find yourself unable to send messages from the Gmail app after restoring a Nandroid backup (outbox emails perpetually say "sending..."), and you might also notice that emails you mark as read still show up as unread on your desktop Gmail, then you need to do this:

Wait for list to load...

You should be able to send Gmail again after that. Note that any unsent emails (the ones that said "sending...") will be permanently lost after you do this, so you'll need to recompose them.

I usually just have to manually launch a sync and everything is fine. Every once in a while after a restore I'll think, hmm, why haven't I received email? And then I remember that.

Upvote 0
I usually just have to manually launch a sync and everything is fine. Every once in a while after a restore I'll think, hmm, why haven't I received email? And then I remember that.

Yeah, these steps are for if a manual sync doesn't fix the problem. In my particular case yesterday, I was receiving mail just fine... the problem was the outgoing mail and updates to already-received emails (like marking as read or deleting). Manual sync didn't fix, reboot didn't fix, but then I found the "clear data" solution which did fix it.

Upvote 0
I tried this before and it worked. But then Market wouldnt let me download. Just always stuck on saying downloading but nothing would move. You know of a fix for that?

I don't know, but did you try clearing data for the Vending app? Also, Vending (Market) is a confusing one because of course it's in /system/app, but you might find that you've also got a copy of it in /data/app because Google released an updated version at some point that may have installed automatically on your phone. You only need the latter copy.

Upvote 0

Wait for list to load...

Awesome, thanks.

I noticed a while back that the emails I deleted in my Gmail app were still there on when I logged on to my computer. And I had to delete them again.
I just figured this is the way it was, for whatever reason.

Let me buy you a beer Nestor

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: thenestor
Upvote 0
thenestor,

Does the phone request you to add a Gmail account, or re-enter your Gmail password after you have done that?

(I don't know if the Gmail credential is stored under Gmail or Accounts Storage - what make me wonder about it is droidkevlar's comment about lack of Market access - that seems like it could be related to the Gmail credential, but I'm not really sure where that cred is stored).

eu1

Upvote 0
thenestor,

Does the phone request you to add a Gmail account, or re-enter your Gmail password after you have done that?

(I don't know if the Gmail credential is stored under Gmail or Accounts Storage - what make me wonder about it is droidkevlar's comment about lack of Market access - that seems like it could be related to the Gmail credential, but I'm not really sure where that cred is stored).

eu1

No, it didn't prompt me for account or password. Those are saved elsewhere, I think. After clearing the data, the Gmail app simply said "wait for sync" and then eventually showed my email again.

Reactions: erisuser1
Upvote 0

Wait for list to load...

This had been driving me crazy! Thanks for the tip. Works every time I restore. Sweet!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones