Can't send MMS/picture message - "generic network failure" ??Support

Last Updated:

1. elwray

elwray Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all, I'm having some trouble sending picture messages/MMS.

Had no problem with this until this morning. When I try and send a picture, I get a notification that the send failed and "Generic network failure".

I'm using Handcent, and tried with the HTC messaging app, too. No dice.

Virtuous 3.1.0
    Incredible rEVOlution

Any ideas?? I was uninstalling some apps this morning since I got a message about low space, but I don't think I uninstalled anything other than downloaded market apps..

Advertisement
  2. elwray

Looks like it's fixed ... I think something got botched up when I upgraded Extended Controls. I have their APN toggle and I think it messed up something with the MMS. Anyway, reinstalled that and rebooted and we're back in business...

3. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

yeah anything dealing with your APN can mess up your ability to send/recieve text messages.

4. Jewshort

Jewshort Well-Known Member

Im having the same issue but am running stock unrooted. I've never knowingly messed with my apn. I use chomp sms. I've tried resizing to no avail. I can't send mms to myself even. Please help, and aren't u proud of me for finding an existing thread?

5. elwray

Way to find it via search! ;)

Did you try just restarting the phone?

6. Mr. Boom

Mr. Boom Well-Known Member

I had the same issue. Kept fussing with it until i realized it has been happening since the last handcent update. I uninstalled handcent, and it was all good. Reinstalled and so far so good. Must be a bug in the update.

7. Jewshort

Alright, well I've tried rebooting, with chomp and with htc messages I get "message not downloaded: message not found" and "message failed: unknown error" when sending to myself. When sending to others I now get no error message but it doesn't go through.

8. Mr. Boom

Look at some of your apps permissions. If you have a camera app on there, chances are it has internet access, and can do this also. This might have been my problem all along, and when i uninstalled handcent, i also uninstalled a couple camera apps that had internet access, and i have not yet had it happen again.

Also, watch your signal when the fail happens. If your signal and3G drops out when it fails, then it is likely a phone issue. If the signal and 3G stay strong, then it is an app issue.

9. Jewshort

Alright so I think the odd errors.were from old failed messages which I deleted.now I get no error, I can send successfully to verizon, but not Iphone! And I deleted some camera apps. one of which I recently downloaded called.camera 360, and I once got a notification from it, so it may be the cause.

bunkobabe215 likes this.
  10. Jewshort

And how do I look at permissions?

11. Mr. Boom

menu>settings>applications>manage applications>click on the one you want to look at, and scroll down to the words in red letters.

12. Jewshort

Ive uninstalled any possibly conflicting apps and still having issues. I can fw mms but not send. I can send small pics to myself but when I try to send large ones with chomp I get unknown error, with htc messages it goes through but then says "message not downloaded, content not accepted

13. Mr. Boom

Dang it! It's doing it again. Gonna have to call V i guess.

14. Jewshort

Iduno anymore its just hit or miss. hard to say if anything I've done helped. Seems to suddenly work now. But for how long?

15. Mr. Boom

Ok, i am getting upset now. Two factory resets, and it is not sending more often than it is sending. What the H?

I do not have the quick settings app talked about in another thread. If i reboot, it works for a couple hours, then quits. This is getting really annoying!

16. akdale

akdale Member

any luck solving the mms problem?

17. Mr. Boom

Still testing, but after i removed a bad app, it has been good. I have been afraid to post for fear it would jinx it.

The bad app had the ability to alter mms connectivity. Can't believe i didn't see it when i DL'ed it.

bunkobabe215 likes this.
  18. Jewshort

I also use appplanet! My mms seems to be working now with appplanet so I can't confirm. And to adhere to forum rules, theres no such thing as the aforementioned app.

19. akdale

akdale Member

I believe this problem to be provider related. Just too many (Now it works and now it doesn't).
    My Phone is a Desire and it is running 2.1 at this time. It has the problem.
    My phone is rooted, no matter which rom I have in the phone, it has the problem----Sometimes-----

20. Mr. Boom

By provider, you mean HTC? IF so then am inclined to agree. Seems to only be happening with HTC devices.

21. akdale

akdale Member

no, I am thinking service provider. Maybe a setting in the account that is changing somehow.
    I am going to call in on monday to have my account and settings looked at.
    I have 2 Desires. I use the same settings on both phones, One works perfectly all of the time, one does not--Sometimes--. I am hoping that my account has a glitch somewhere, and that when it is deleted and reset, the problem will magically disappear......I have tried everything else that I have found to try.

22. Mr. Boom

Well, you say your issue is on a Desire. This is an Incredible forum, and the two are not on the same network.
    That is why i think it might be a manufacturer/OS/update bug.

Either way, it is gone for me, for now. Still testing and waiting, though.

23. akdale

akdale Member

Glad yours is working now. We are on different networks with different phones but share a common problem. This, along with the fact that the problem is intermittent, I have tried different roms, the 2.1 Eclare and the 2.2 Froyo, Lead me to believe that it is provider related. I seem to recall reading some posts in my search that the Iphone is having this problem also.

24. Mr. Boom

Well that is what i don't get. Why would all providers be having it? Seems like more of either a software issue, or a brand issue.

25. akdale

akdale Member

Just need to keep trying and searching. There has to be an answer somewhere...