• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't Stop Download

ebc1973

Jul 1, 2010
Please help!!!! I have a HTC Evo 4G, and yesterday I tried to update an application in the market. The download hung up. I have that arrow showing in the notification area, and when I bring it down, it shows the progress bar, which has the lines running through it indicating it it thinking. This has been happening for a full day now. I can't stop it. If I turn off the phone, or even do a battery pull, it resumes when the phone boots up. I have forced closed market, and still the same thing. When I click on the file, it links me to the market entry for that app, but the only choices are update and uninstall. There is no cancel download button. If I try to un-install the app, I go into a perpetual un-install loop. Is there something else I can force close that will make this horrid download go away? I am rooted, if that helps.

Please help!!!! I have a HTC Evo 4G, and yesterday I tried to update an application in the market. The download hung up. I have that arrow showing in the notification area, and when I bring it down, it shows the progress bar, which has the lines running through it indicating it it thinking. This has been happening for a full day now. I can't stop it. If I turn off the phone, or even do a battery pull, it resumes when the phone boots up. I have forced closed market, and still the same thing. When I click on the file, it links me to the market entry for that app, but the only choices are update and uninstall. There is no cancel download button. If I try to un-install the app, I go into a perpetual un-install loop. Is there something else I can force close that will make this horrid download go away? I am rooted, if that helps.

I've had that happen. I'm not sure about Shotgun84's suggestion but I am sure it will work, that usually fixes most market issues.:)

I have solved the problem by going to the app in the Market (My Apps). When you click on the app you should have an option to cancel the download. You can then proceed to stay with the version you have, wait for it to autoupdate again, or what I do, manually update it so I know it doesn't get stuck again.

Good luck!

Reactions: ebc1973
Upvote 0
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, there is no option to cancel the download anymore. That button has been removed. For the record, I am still using Market v. 2, and instead of the cancel button, it says either install or update, depending on whether it is a new application, or one I am updating of course. So basically, I tried to update an app yesterday. When it hung up, I pulled down the notification area, and clicked on the download "in progress". It brought me to the market section of that app, but like I said, the cancel button was gone. Even though it was supposedly downloading the update to that app, the only choices given to me was Update and Uninstall. I even tried to uninstall the app, but that just caused the Market to hang even more, and restarting the phone only causes the download to restart. Here I am on day two, and the download is still hanging. I will try clearing Market data, and see if that helps. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, there is no option to cancel the download anymore. That button has been removed. For the record, I am still using Market v. 2, and instead of the cancel button, it says either install or update, depending on whether it is a new application, or one I am updating of course. So basically, I tried to update an app yesterday. When it hung up, I pulled down the notification area, and clicked on the download "in progress". It brought me to the market section of that app, but like I said, the cancel button was gone. Even though it was supposedly downloading the update to that app, the only choices given to me was Update and Uninstall. I even tried to uninstall the app, but that just caused the Market to hang even more, and restarting the phone only causes the download to restart. Here I am on day two, and the download is still hanging. I will try clearing Market data, and see if that helps. Thanks again!
Let us know how you make out. If it doesn't work, we'll dig around some more. BTW, this week is Guide Appreciation Week. Head on over to http://androidforums.com/lounge/492414-n-d-r-o-i-d-f-o-r-u-m-guide-appreciation-week-feb-1-7-a.html and give a shout out to Shotgun84.:)

Upvote 0
I have Samsung galaxy S2 Android version 4.0.4. Facing similar problem. I tried downloading a .png file from gmail. The download has got stuck since 2 days :( .. I have tried restarting, reinserting battery..doens't work. The notification area still has the moving lines. Reading the thread, I went to Settings-->Applications--All--> Gmail..and clicked Clear cache and clear data. Then too the problem persists. Please help me.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones