Can't turn off lock screen? What the hell?Support

Last Updated:

1. Kaleb Randleaxe

Kaleb Randleaxe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Did Verizon seriously remove the option to not have a lock screen on the 2.2 OTA?

Advertisement
  2. Greavous

Greavous Well-Known Member

I guess so. Ive been looking for it since the OTA update and havent stumbled upon it yet. In my case I had it turned off when I updated and the ability to turn it back on is missing now.

3. Kaleb Randleaxe

That's some serious bullshit.

4. BabyRN

BabyRN Well-Known Member

You can download an app from the market called No Lock. It will remove the lock option for you. :)

Kaleb Randleaxe likes this.
  5. Greavous

Greavous Well-Known Member

Im of the opinion that this whole Droid X/Verizon/Motorola thing is bullshit with a bill. I like the phone but Id like the phone more if they would let us use the damn thing the way we wanted to.

6. nynvolt

nynvolt Well-Known Member

Mine was off prior to the update, no option to turn it on now. I don't really mind but when I wake the phone I get a brief glance at what look's like a new looking lock screen, wanted to see if it was still laggy.

7. jdk33

jdk33 Well-Known Member

That's a feature to stop the phone from dialing / starting apps when it's in your pocket. I don't see what the big deal is. I also don't see how it's Verizon's fault.

8. Kaleb Randleaxe

Awesome. Fixed my issue precisely. "Thank"ed for that, rock on!

Greavous - I agree. It's counter to the whole Android model to lock stuff down and stifle innovation on the platform. If I wanted an idiot-proof device, I would have gotten an iPhone. This will make me rethink any future purchases from Motorola.

9. Kaleb Randleaxe

No kidding. I don't put my phone in my pocket, though. It's either sitting next to me at work / class / home, or it's in my holster. Since July 15, I have not "accidentally" hit the unlock button even once. So I have no need for a lock screen; it's just one more unnecessary motion I have to do to access my phone.

That being said, they had to actively decide to remove the ability to NOT have a lock screen, meaning they did it for a reason. That reason, more likely than not, is to avoid complaints from people who accidentally unlock their phones. Again, more idiot-proofing.

10. bugeyeblue

bugeyeblue Well-Known Member

This is true. Most people are too complacent for verizon to have left it. Its accessible as an app, that's good enough in my opinion. You have to consider who verizon is dealing with most of the time- the general public.

11. LiquidHonesty

LiquidHonesty Active Member

That happened to me when I first installed the leak a few weeks back......had to flash it back to get it back to 2.1 on :-(

12. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

The phone also has a proximity sensor, so why would it need a lock screen to begin with when it can sense that it's in your pocket?

13. jdk33

jdk33 Well-Known Member

AFAIK it only uses the proximity sensor when the screen is on, to sense when the handset is put to your head. I would think having the sensor on all the time to check if it's in a pocket would drain the battery pretty quickly.

And to the OP, that's great that you don't have a problem since you don't put it in your pocket, but I'd bet you 99% of other Android users don't feel that way, thus the change was introduced. But it's all good, theres an app for that. That's what is great about Android, it's opensource and community driven. If you don't like it you can either compile your own lockscreen or get on Google's developer forums and petition to have it changed. Get back to us when you get it all sorted out.