1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support cant update apps on sd card.

1. awdcivic

awdcivic Active Member

I have a thunderbolt with alot of my apps on the sd card. whenever i get updates i get a bunch of update unsuccessful notifications. when i click on the notification it takes me to the market with a pop up screen that says installation error Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card. only option is ok. if i try to update it multiple times the same thing happens. now if i take it off the sd card it will update normally, but i would rather not take 20 apps off and put them back on every time i get an update. when i first put apps on the sd card they would always update but they havent been for weeks now.
    also i use optimize toolbox and it tells me which apps can be put on the sd card.

Advertisement
  2. could be a bad sd card
  3. DaveMo

DaveMo Member

I have the same problem. Started 2 weeks ago after my phone rebooted while some apps were updating.

I have tried a factory reset, clearing the market apps cache, uninstalling and reinstalling -- the only thing that works is moving to the phone.

I believe some apps do update on the sdcard, but i am not sure. I will pay more attention in the future to where apps are when they fail. I still have about 4 apps that won't update.

Android really is buggy.
  4. awdcivic

awdcivic Active Member

none of my apps were updating on sd card.. i deleted a bunch of unnecessary stuff off sd card dragged important stuff to computer.. then reformatted the sd card 4 times on phone (it then updated a game i moved to sd card for testing) then dragged important files back. now 2 hours later i am currently moving two apps to sd card for testing and it looks like its working =)
  5. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Here is some info. The card is not bad, and you do not have to move the apps off of the sdcard and onto the phone to update and then back, also you will not have to format the card again!

I had the same problem and this fixed it.

Turn off the phone remove the sdcard and insert it into your pc,laptop, mac sdcard reader slot.

Browse to the card on your computer and look for this directory .android_secure notice the period before the android.
    If you do not see the directory then you need to allow your file manager on your pc to show hidden files since it is hidden by default.
    Now in the directory look for only this file smdl2tmp1.asec
    !!!This file needs to be deleted!!!
    After deleting only that file place the sdcard back into your phone and now all apps are still there and you can now update any of them :)

I hope this helps anyone out with this problem.
    If you have any questions just ask :)

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Raven2010, Sideman, zmkm and 4 others like this.
  6. bummydill

bummydill New Member

Thanks Bryan, worked great.
  7. Treknologist

Treknologist Well-Known Member

This same solution also works if anyone is having trouble installing apps from the Amazon AppStore. I was having a problem installing apps from Amazon (some apps would neither install nor update). It seems the file gets corrupted and does not allow installation of some apk files. By the way, this can also be done by plugging the phone and placing it into drive mode. The file can be deleted the same way. :)
  8. trapperjohn

Happy to hear it helped you out :)

Bryan
  9. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Well-Known Member

how many apps do you all have that you need to put them on the SD card. i have 60 apps and i still have 2GB of internal storage left.

IMO, the ONLY time to use "apps to SD" is when you literally dont have any more internal storage left. unless there is some other benefit to having apps on the SD card, i would just keep them internally unless you are out of internal storage.
  10. Treknologist

Treknologist Well-Known Member

I have over 300 and still have over 1 GB of space left. I haven't moved apps to the SD card. My problem was with installing only from the Amazon AppStore. The same solution given here solved my problem as well.
  11. Walton1

Walton1 Well-Known Member

Bryan, many thanks. Had the same problem on my Desire. This worked a treat. If you don't mind I'll put this as an answer to my own post on the Desire forum as somebody else had the same problem, crediting yourself of course.
    trapperjohn likes this.
  12. trapperjohn

Sure thing glad it helped you out and np on spreading the word the more people it helps the better!
    Bryan
  13. Wardatrigger

Wardatrigger Member

I have 7 apps installed on my internal memory according to the App2SD application, with 5 of those totalling only a little over 1.5 mB.

That leaves me with 14.98mB free out of a total of 147.62mB on my HTC Desire. Apparently that's their one Achilles Heel and has been rectified on newer HTC models. I've managed to replace Google Reader and Twitter with 3rd party apps, but sadly Flash, Maps and the Market are all irreplaceable and immoveable.

I've a year and a half to go on my contract, so I'll be stuck if anything else handy turns up on the market, that can only be installed to the internal memory.
  14. zeroseven

zeroseven New Member

Removed that file and now my HTC Desire continually reboots. Doesn't work on mine
  15. Raven2010

Raven2010 Member

I had the same problem and this seems to have done the trick.

KJ
  16. Geekstar

Geekstar New Member

Solution worked for me too ...wifey bugged me for 2 weeks RE: this issue on her LG optimus and this fix took me about 3 minutes Gracias !!!!!