• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't Update Bionic, it's rooted!!!

Sewer Dweller

Jul 21, 2012
It's simple.
I can't update the Bionic.
It's rooted. Vers. 5.9.905
I Haven't removed anything.
I only have emulators installed.
I received a notice to update,
but I can't update because it fails all the time.

My questions are as follow...
How can I update?
Will I loose root?
Should I update?
If I do so, can I re-root?
Should I un-root, update, then re-root?

Someone please help, it's driving me nuts! :thinking:

Is the update an OTA update?

If so, it's failing because it needs the stock recovery to install the update, thus meaning that the custom recovery is causing the install to error out.

If you do want to take the OTA, an un root would let you install it.

As far as re rooting goes, you may want to read up on the most up to date guide to see if you can use that to re root.

If not, you'll have to wait until a method for the update is produced.

Upvote 0
Well then the ex-sd card was wiped magically because it remains erased, a process that I found out occurred after the phone booted up.

Based on the replies, everyone just thinks I wiped the sd card by accident but it's not like that, I'm simply just pointing out what happened to me after I applied the update manually.

On a side note, I received a prompt for another update, which this time was able to install itself on it's own without any problems.

It's no longer rooted, it doesn't matter anyways since the sd card is wiped.
I'll remember next time to take it out before I try any update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones