• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't update SKYPE app!

SkinJob

Oct 5, 2010
UPDATE: Done!

How: I installed "Root Master", v 1.3.6. apk (which was entirely in Chinese, so I had to guess... its SuperUser is also in Chinese!). I did not see SuperUser on my home screen, so I did not think it worked! I installed ES File Explorer to see if I could access the system directory. I could, but I could not change permissions and saw no way to do that. So I figured I'm not rooted! Then I installed Root Checker to be sure.... it told me I am not properly rooted (but partially rooted?!). Then I installed jRummy's Root Browser. It allowed access to the system/app directory, but with this one, I could actually change the r/w flag permissions! It allowed me to rename the Skype app, and I downloaded the latest version from Play store! I could finally sign in, so I was right! The app needed to be upgraded, and could not be unless the system app for Skype was completely disabled!

Super1Click guys wanted to charge me $20 US for this!! I said "No thanks, I'll find a way to do it myself for free!". They said "Well when you are ready to root your device, come back and let us know". "Dream on!". There's more than one way to filet a fish, buddy! (Whatever that means...).

Skype will not sign in on my tablet, it gives no error message (or "please try again later").

I am using a "Playtab" brand tablet, model RK026 (Playtab HD 9.0, Kempler Strauss). It's running JB 4.2.2. Skype is version 1.0.0.5388. I figure it just needs to be upgraded, as Skype is known to bar older versions from connecting. But no, I can't upgrade from Play store; it won't install (something about "wrong signature mismatch"). I can't uninstall Skype, only disable it (so I presume it must have come with the tablet). Tried installing the Skype apk via sideload, the device won't allow me to do that either. And as far as I know, it can't be rooted!

Please help me get Skype working again, thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones