Can't Update Trough Kies - Bell Galaxy S 3Support

1. toxaris71

toxaris71 Member

Running the latest version of Kies on Windows 8 64x, and Keis wont seem to let me update. It says a "firmware update" is available so I click install. It pops up the windows showing steps you need to take, etc. I accept and proceed with the update. It starts downloading firmware update components, but once it reaches 100%, it freezes for 20 seconds, then the update window disappears, and kies is stuck frozen with "Please connect a device" at the top left corner.

I tried what others suggested and disconnected my phone during the download process, or turning it off, but it has no effect. The OTA update servers have also been down for 2 days now so I cant do it OTA. :(

Very disappointed that after waiting so long for jelly bean, and it finally ariving, I still cannot update due to Samsung's incompetence. :mad:

Advertisement
    :
  2. poriggity

poriggity Well-Known Member

Yup, I have given up. Luckily my S3 is rooted, so I flashed a rooted stock version of JB through Odin. My wife's S3 though is not rooted, and she does not want to root it, so I can't get JB to load onto her phone.
    Scott
  3. andrzewi

andrzewi Well-Known Member

It's hard to say what's wrong. I use Windows7 64x and had also problems similiar to yours with Kies. I am on Rogers anyway. Tried to update to JB Monday by OTA but it was impossible. Then Kies was the option. Took me hours of unistalling, reinstalling, rebutting etc. Finally somehow it worked and I've get connected and got 4.1.1. Today, just minutes ago I fired up Kies and got message about update and said 'yes' to it. It showes in Kies that ne version is 2.5.0.12114_1, but in the Control Panel/Programs and Features it's version is 2.3.2.12054_20!!! Such a joke. I restarterd my laptop before that of course.
    Good luck with your journey to the JB.
  4. toxaris71

toxaris71 Member

Haha, thanks! I'm hoping I'll be able to connect to the OTA update servers, I have a friend who is on Rogers and recently got the update OTA. I don't think I'm going to go through the trouble of wiping and reinstalling etc, so I hope it won't take them too much longer to let me update OTA. Still disappointed though and I'm sure many others are.
    Meanwhile have fun with Jelly Bean!
  5. andrzewi

andrzewi Well-Known Member

Well, my OTA started last Sunday and I was stupid enough to cancel it.
    Oh, try Kies again.
    One annoing thing for me in JB 4.1.1 is the voice which is telling me on which of my home screens I am right there... VERY ANNOING!!!