Can't upgrade Android Marketplace to 2.2.6 (current version)Support

Last Updated: 2011-04-02 12:45:35
  1. Kabob

Kabob Well-Known Member

Alright, so I'd been having issues with my phone for a while and finally gave up and called Verizon. They overnighted me a replacement and thus far it's working much better in every way except one. I have the old style Android Market installed and I cannot get it to update to the newer version. I went to XDA and downloaded the stock 2.2.6 APK but when I try installing it through Astro it says "could not open as APK file."

Any ideas? I installed the Amazon Marketplace app from a downloaded APK so it's not something simple like it just can't handle non-marketplace APKs.

Advertisement
  2. nklenchik

nklenchik Well-Known Member

Did you mean 2.3.6? It should download by itself OTA without you even realizing it. Since it's a "new" phone give it a day or two and see what happens. If not, use root explorer (that's what I use) to copy and paste that apk file into the system app folder, something you can't do with Astro I believe. Restart your phone and you should be good.

Edit: If you don't wanna pay for root explorer, just use 4shared.com and search rootexplorer.apk. I did that a while back...behaves just fine.
  3. eric328

eric328 Member

Had that problem once, what worked for me was to clear the cache and data/updates for the market in settings---applications---manage applications---market.
  4. Kabob

Kabob Well-Known Member

No, it's 2.2.6, is 2.3.6 the newer version? It's the most recent non-root APK I could find.

I did this already hoping that would fix it, tiz a no-go.