Can't Upload large videos via 3G or 4G

Last Updated:

1. nykbob

nykbob Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have done some searching on this problem and the consensus is that there is some sort of a cap on uploading videos to Youtube that are larger than about 10 mb. If you try to upload a larger video Evo then says it is waiting to use WiFi to do the upload. This seems like a Sprint cap to me to prevent their network from having to handle the bandwidth of uploading anything but small videos. (what do we pay the extra $10 for? That's for another discussion.).

SO, now that I am rooted, does anyone know how to change the settings and remove the cap so that I can upload larger videos via 3G or 4G without having to use a WiFi connection? I am rooted and on stock 3.29.651.5 Android 2.2. I do not want to use flash a custom ROM just for this ability.
    Thanks to anyone who has an answer to this.

Advertisement
  2. nykbob

Wow, has nobody run into this problem? I was wondering if this is a ROM issue or a Sprint throttle on uploads. Has anyone been successful with uploading large video files to Youtube without beng prompted "waiting for Wifi".

3. FlyHighx

FlyHighx Active Member

is it just to youtube that you can't upload the videos? Can you email them or is the file size to big for that as well? Can you upload them over wifi or is it just 3g/4g that is giving you a problem?

4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

you can't email them either. I forget what the size limit is ...I think 1mb for email and 3 for upload on 3g 4g

I just upload mine over wifi when I get home but it would be nice to change the setting if such a change method were avail.

5. nykbob

I'm not sure about emailing them, but I know you can not upload them to a website via 3G or 4G, the phone asks you to wait for WiFi connection. This is a problem is you want to upload a video larger than a 1-3 MB from a location where you do not have WiFi access. Something in the software is limiting this function so as not to use 3G/4G bandwidth and force you to use WiFi to upload larger videos. Not sure if this also applies to sending larger files, as I have not tried that yet.

6. Brumeister

Brumeister Member

I know one thing you might be able to do is use Qik as your video uploader to You tube. I think theres a quality hit but I think you might be able to load a large video like that.