Can't upload video to Picasa?Support

Last Updated:

1. carrot

carrot Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I though Google was about integration, but today I failed to load a video using both the Droid or my PC (usb) to my picasa web page...

I think it is a bit silly that Picasa isn't compatible with Android videos... 3gp files (Is this phone specific?)...

But I can upload to youtube!

Anybody knows of a good converter for these files?

Anyway, sad... Even worst after seeing the Windows Phone 7 preview. Maybe that's going to kick the development a bit.

Advertisement
  2. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

upload them to facebook too!

3. Jerm13

Jerm13 Well-Known Member

This disappointed me as well. Ended up going with YouTube even though I don't like to...
    And that won't even let you do it without wifi, bah.

4. mihalich

mihalich Well-Known Member

lol. I just flashed sholes yesterday, with the new 2.1 gallery. Just this morning I went to go upload the photos and videos on my phone to picasa and realized it wouldn't let me upload the videos to picasa. Funny that someone just posted this question, as I was coming here to find out if it was just me.

pretty lame, but not a big deal. I can just transfer the videos to my pc and upload them from there.

-Joe

5. Jerm13

Jerm13 Well-Known Member

You'll have to run them through some sort of file conversion. It's the format of the videos that Picasa does not like.

6. Cbrown

Cbrown Well-Known Member

What exactly is Picasa? I saw this as an option when i hit share for pictures. Please excuse my cluelessness.

7. carrot

Picasa is a software to get/manipulate/upload/share your pictures/video.. Made by Google but incompatible with Android captured video files.

Picasa 3: Free download from Google

8. Cbrown

Cbrown Well-Known Member

Thanks.
    No downloads for droid though?

boo

9. carrot

No, but you can login directly on the picasaweb.google.com and manage your pictures with the phone. Just like gmail. It seems pretty well integrated with smartphones (that I've seen).

10. mihalich

I'm able to upload the droid videos to picasa from my PC fine (Through the picasa thick client). They added support for that format recently.

Joe

11. carrot

Just tried again tonight, the .3gp extension isn't recognized by Picasa. I'm running 3.6. Which client do you have that supports these formats?

12. mihalich

Ok, just did a sanity check to make sure I wasn't halucinating. lol.

I'm using version 3.6.0 on Windows 7 64 bit. On this version, I just copied a .3gp file from my phone to my desktop. Picasa saw it, and I was able to play it locally. I was also able to upload it to picasa, and was able to play it through the browser once it was ready.

Maybe you need a codec for .3gp installed to make it work? Not sure. But it definitely works for me.

- Joe

13. carrot

Ok, tried again this time doing what you said.. copy the file instead of using import... But Picasa said it couldn't open this file... Using Windows 7 64-bit as well. Was able to play the file using Windows Media Player just fine...

In "Tools...Options...File Types...". I get only ".avi, .mpg, .asf, .wmv" for Movies. Nothing about .3gp files.

14. mihalich

I'll check my tools options menu when I get home later.

15. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

Kinda sorta along the same note, videos recorded with the Droid can be uploaded to Youtube and I can watch them with my computer, but not with the Droid... crazy, huh?

16. mihalich

.3gp does not show up in tools/options/file types for me either.

I don't know what the difference is...but mine definitely works.

I attached a screen shot of the properties dialog that comes up when I right click on the image in picasa...

Joe

Attached Files:

17. carrot

Found why, Apple Quicktime software is needed for Picasa to recognize the .3gp extension. That's kind of ridiculous since WMP plays the files just fine in Windows 7. It should show in the file extension supported when Quicktime is installed.

Picasa video file playback : Movies - Picasa Help

Anyway, works now so can't complain anymore

18. mihalich

So, back to your original question...

We know that picasa on the server side supports .3gp files for uploading videos. So why can't we upload them from our phone?

My guess is they disabled it because of bandwidth issues. But if that's the case, that's stupid, cuz you can upload videos to youtube fine.

Or, they just didn't implement it. How many more lines of code would it have been to upload videos though, instead of a picture. it's just another binary file, they're passing up to a web service on their side.

So, i digress...no idea why its not supported.

-Joe

19. dmarchant

dmarchant New Member

If you are still interested in uploading videos to Picasa from your Android phone, you should check out my android app. It is on the android marketplace. The name of the app is PicasaVidUp.
    More info at PicasaVidUp

20. Jaysus

Jaysus Active Member

still not working for me :-(

I checked a day later and it worked... go figure.

21. funkymonkey007

funkymonkey007 New Member

It works but uploads very slowly. Im using Picasa v 3.8 on Win 7 64 bit. It doesnt show 3gp videos in Picasa desktop (even with 3gp file types selected) but if you go yo the online album and select upload and then select upload from file/pc and select them it will upload them (will probably work if u drag n drop aswell), just very slowly, must have to convert them or something,:)