Can't use Google Maps to Navigate from the Location field the CalendarSupport

Last Updated:

1. mcapehart

mcapehart Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Droid and my wife just got the Devour. On my Droid one of the best things about having Google Maps with Navigation is that if you have a location field defined on a calendar event, you can tap on it and instantly find the location and then navigate to it using Google Maps.

On the Devour, however, despite Google Maps navigation is there and works fine, when tapping on a location in the Calendar it's forcing the use of VZ Navigator.

For the most part I'm a happy VZW customer, but this ticks me off!

You can't delete VZ Navigator from the device either without rooting, which I refuse to do.

My workaround is to open the event in edit mode and copy the location, then go to Google Maps and paste in the search field. Works, but a PITA.

Anyone know a more elegant workaround for this?

Advertisement
  2. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

Wow, I can see how that would be annoying. Especially if you accidentally load VZW and get charged if you don't fully exit it. I'll try to find a way around this. Could downloading another calendar off of the market work?

And why do you refuse to root your devour? I'm looking to root mine whenever some solid tutorials start being released for the devour.

3. bemasher

bemasher New Member

I'm experiencing the exact same problem. I'm frustrated that i'm locked into this stupid navigation application that you have to pay for when the Google Navigation app is far better.

I'm not interested in rooting my Devour because it would void any warranty the phone has and the general consensus from my friends that have rooted their android phones is that it's not worth it. Mostly because of the danger of bricking.

I just finished installing the SDK so i'm tempted to write a program to switch the application assigned to handle the link.

mcapehart likes this.
  4. mcapehart

mcapehart Active Member This Topic's Starter

That would be awesome, if you decide to do that. I'm an independent QA Tech, so if you need help let me know.

5. doug1c

doug1c New Member

Does anybody have a solution yet?

6. p_025

p_025 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the Devour's stock Calendar app seems hell-bent on using the VZ Navigator app for navigation. I rooted my Devour and I have VZ Navigator removed, and when I try to navigate through the Calendar the app just force closes. I believe unless someone hacks the Calendar app (there appears to be no setting for it), you'll just have to use a third-party calendar. Either that, or root your phone and replace the VZ Navigator app files with the ones for Google Maps Navigation (I might try this).