• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't use shift and ABC key properly since new update

erisharp

Lurker
May 1, 2010
Hello folks-

Since I updated my software the other day, when I type a text message in the native program I cannot use the Shift (up arrow key) when the phone is vertical. When I flip it horizontal the shift key works, but then the ABC to # key no longer works. Does anyone else have this problem?

Verizon's only advice was to pull the battery out...of course did nothing.

Whaddya think?

I'm assuming your using the Eris, going by your username. There are two possible causes that I can think of. Either its a software glitch brought up by the update, or your touch screen is borked. Since its doing it in two different areas of the screen, the touch screen problem seems unlikely.

I would recommend doing a factory reset. Sometimes updates can mess up apps and settings. But a reset can fix it since it will wipe everything and cleanup the OS. It will wipe your phone, so you'll lose anything you haven't backed up, like apps or contacts. If your using a Google account, your contacts are backed up on your account, so that shouldn't be a problem. And your apps will be redownloadable as soon as you reboot. You'll keep the update as well so don't worry about that.

If it keeps doing it, I would bring it to Verizon, and maybe they can hook you up with a refurb, or even possibly a Motorola Droid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones