• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't voice dial via car radio.

GaryS1964

Dec 9, 2010
I have model SGH-I747 running Android 4.3 on the AT&T network. Recently AT&T upgraded my wife's and my phones to 4.3. Her phone still works with her car radio for all functions however mine stopped allowing me to voice dial via my car radio.

The phone and car radio sync and contacts are uploaded and I can still talk hands free once I manually dial the number and receive calls hands free all via my car radio but the voice dial function has stopped working.

I use to press a button on the car radio and the phone would respond through the radio with, "What would you like to do?" Then I would just say, "Call Jerry Doe at home" and the phone would dial Jerry's home phone. Now I get no response when I press the button and the radio comes back on after about five seconds. I look at my phone and SVoice shows it asking me what I would like to do but it is not communicating that to the radio.

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

Unlike probably a majority of people I use my phone 97% of the time to make or receive phone calls, 2% to text and 1% to use the internet. I could care less about all the other fancy features and just want to be able to voice dial a call when I'm in my car. If I have to go back to Android 4.2 to get that feature back it would be worth it.

In my research I found another software upgrade to 4.4.2 so I upgraded. Since it wasn't working before I figured what the heck. Haven't had a chance to try it to see if one of the "Bluetooth fixes" supposedly in this latest version fixes my problem. However I did, before this last update, try and unpair the phone then pair it again. That didn't help. When it was unpaired from the radio it still showed up on the list and I couldn't figure out how to remove it completely. The radio is a Kenwood KDC-X796.

Upvote 0
You still didn't say what cars are involved as far s your wife's that works.

The 4.4 updated that my wife got with her LG G2 (stock Verizon) does not like the text message function of the 2014 Civic system. Where my GS3 on Alliance 4.3 Rom works fine.

The Civic 2014 system does not support Voice commands directly to Android yet. It does its own internal voice commands and Siri connection, so its system dependent.

Hope the push Android Auto out to the 2014 models.

Upvote 0
My wife's car is a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe and it works fine. I have a 2011 Toyota Tacoma and the original radio never did work with Bluetooth which is why I replaced it with the Kenwood KDC-X796 which did work with the Android 4.2 but stopped working with Android 4.3.

I haven't updated my wife's phone to 4.4.2 because she could care less about what whatever features it might have over 4.3 so I won't update her phone in fear that it will stop working with her car.

Upvote 0
Now I have done some reading around so I can not verify this info "S-Voice did not work correctly in the car with my Kenwood head unit after the 4.3 or 4.4 update. Google Now worked ok, but had (and still has) some limitations. It will not start if your phone is locked. Voice recognition apps on Kitkat won't work from a PIN or pattern-locked screen." He then went on to saying he is now using a voice recognition program called "KLets". Thats a paid app but there is a test version available in the store.

Reactions: GaryS1964
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones