can't wait to get an Epic !!

Last Updated:

1. Alchemist10

Alchemist10 Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all former hero user but my hero pooped on me tried to get it fixed but sprint insurance said there was signs of water damage so they wanted 100 dollars deductible to be paid even though I never dropped or spilled water on my phone so done with sprint insurance november 1st i can upgrade again.

The main thing I can't wait to try is launcher pro any other recommendations?

Advertisement
  2. Flaspeneer

Flaspeneer Well-Known Member

Glad to see someone new excited about this phone.

The Evo's really nice, as is Sense, but the Epic has a few features I haven't found anywhere else -- and I lo-o-ve its screen and keyboard, and five ways of inputting text. I've written entire stories on this thing using TextEdit.

You're in a great position buying now, as the worst bugs and issues have been addressed by early-adopting fools like me. You'll have 30 days to see what this phone can and can't do without waiting for updates beyond Froyo. I've had mine since launch and love it.

Since you're mentioning Launcher Pro, I assume the look of the desktop's important to you. I'd suggest reading the what does your screen look like? thread for lots of appearance tweaks.

Lists of the best apps are also a search away in these Epic forums. See thread titles under apps for longer lists than you'll probably get here in a recent thread (since we're only over a month from launch).

For increased battery life, I know of nothing better than Juice Defender. That and turning Airplane Mode on and off when you restart your phone should keep you reasonably charged. We're all awaiting an extended battery by Seido, the same company that makes the Evo's.

If you have a Mac, you'll need to click the Debug option on your Epic to have it recognize the SD and export your contacts and calendar to Google. I have a Macbook Pro for music work and a PC for everything else. My transition was swift and unproblematic. You can also transfer files using Bluetooth.

The mere fact you're starting out wanting to tweak your desktop makes me think the Epic will be a great fit. People who are weaning an iPhone addiction and don't care about keyboards should probably get an Evo: Comparatively seamless operation with less geek candy.

3. Alchemist10

yea I did want the evo until I saw the epics screen in person the comparison is unreal Epic is amazing I was timid at first do to the bad reports from the previous samsung moment but reading this thread alone and using demo phones have convinced me otherwise. Customization is what I crave for sure just looking at everyones screens excites me, cant wait to tackle launcher pro. and ill be looking for this battery you spoke of sounds awesome !!

Tarekh123 likes this.
  4. Flaspeneer

I had the chance to use both the Evo and Epic for extended periods of time and had the same reaction you did to the AMOLED screen: No comparison! In fact, I loved the screen enough to start this thread.

Blacks are deep and colors are luminous, which is why footage of bioluminescent creatures and swimmers with luminous paint and gear look incredible. Two people at my editing job got Epics after I showed them the Ken Block footage mentioned by Czech Pleez on said thread. Swimmers with luminous paint and lighting can be seen in the Deftones' sextape video linked by pablo.station in the same.

Sounds like you're going to have fun with the Epic like the rest of us diehards. Every single time I run into a glitch, I think of the options I'd have to do without on any other phone and am glad I bought this one.

And, yes, we're all looking forward to that Seido battery.

5. duran87a

duran87a Member

FYI You can call Sprint or go to the store and have your upgrade pushed early as long you're in good standing and within 14 days of your upgrade date.

-Former Sprint Employee

6. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

I too have played with both the Evo and the Epic at my local Sprint store and after a tough 40 minutes I made my decision to go with the Evo. The Epic has an orgasmic screen and the keyboard was ok to me but I found after using an on-screen keyboard for so long on my old Hero, I really didnt need a physical KB. The Evo just made sense to me as a worthy upgrade from my old Hero. I have no problems at all typing on my Evo, the on-screen flies. The bigger screen is a big deal to me and I still think its beautiful. I consider it a mini tablet.

To each his own, but the Evo is such a solid device... so if the super AMOLED screen is not a big deal to you don't rule out the Evo

7. vertcobra99

vertcobra99 Well-Known Member

Do you have to post this in every single thread? You have made the same post in the last 4 threads I have read. I am happy that you like your evo. You should probably spend some time in the evo forum.

8. Bomix

Bomix Well-Known Member

Blah.. evo.. I had it Your much Better getting an Epic.. Trust me you won't be disappointed.. I felt that way first time.. then after first week.. I was hooked.

9. lxy33

lxy33 Well-Known Member

Epic is an awesome phone! I get compliments constantly when people look at my screen! They are aw aw to see how beautiful the pictures look! I barely use the keyboard but I have to say this phone is wicked awesome! No phone is perfect but I enjoy using my phone :)

Tarekh123 likes this.
  10. Alchemist10

Yea i have gotten use to the on screen key board, but I can use it on the epic as well plus the keyboard for gaming, at least thats how I see it I'm sold on the epic that screen is just to great, a co worker of mine just got the epic yesterday and my smile just was so huge I was like " Dude I cant wait !"

But on another note how do I go about this advance on getting my upgrade pushed up till now ? Like what do I say ?... something like can you push my upgrade date up till now please ...?...? lol

Extra info would be greatly appreciated !

11. duran87a

duran87a Member

Go to the store and say that you're due on the first and they can push the upgrade early. Thats all! Just say your phone is messed up and they will do it for you! I used to do that for customers all the time when they came to my store!

12. Flaspeneer

First, I actually had both phones (albeit briefly, in the Evo's case) and didn't merely "play with them in the store," as you did. Second, this isn't an Epic vs. Evo thread. It's incredibly rude to pimp your phone in another phone's forum.

Third, you're promulgating a new stereotype which I'll call the iPhone-to-Evo contingent. This faction is made up of Evo users who are as zealous about their phone's ease of use as iPhone users can be about theirs. I'm not talking about all or most. I'm talking about the it-just-works faction who feel it necessary to evangelize. The Evo's a really cool phone, so don't turn it into the iPhone of Android. The aim is for people to use what's best for them, not pledge eternal fealty to one model and one company.

13. Aero1

Aero1 Well-Known Member

Having had both Evo and Epic, I would say the Epic is compelling, but that bugs such as GPS issues on Epic are not small potatoes.

14. Flaspeneer

Aero1:

While the GPS issue lingers in ways that will impact those who need dynamic accuracy while driving, what other issues are you referring to specifically? I ask because I'm a New Yorker and will probably drive about four times in total before I'm eligible for an upgrade. I also note you used the word *owned* in past tense, which makes me wonder which phone you settled on ultimately.

15. kristv

kristv Well-Known Member

I have to say, I'm not having any issues with my Epic and its GPS as far as driving goes. It is deadly accurate with distance and reroutes me very quickly when I don't take a turn it was expecting me to take. While I will admit that standing still in my house, the accuracy is a bit off, I'm not too fussed about that. It works perfectly for what I use GPS for, which is travel and weather.

16. Flaspeneer

I'm really surprised Aero hasn't gotten back to us. It's not like him to dump on an enthusiastic thread without giving more specifics.

17. Alchemist10

I gotta get to work already late havent gotten my Epic yet Sprint messed up my account been going back and forth for a while now, they told me yesterday I will be able to purchase the phone today so hopefully sprint has gotten there act together.

18. Alchemist10

Well here it is, some pics I took !

http://jump.fm/VCHIC

Trying launcher pro now hopefully I can do what all of you have done, I really like the windows 7 icons with the pictures for widgets any further help will be appreciated !

So far I love it Swype is awesome ! keyboard awesome Goodbye hero I gotta say I dont miss ya !