Can't write to /system/etc ????

Last Updated:

1. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Here's a weird one, I can't copy files to /system/etc - I'm getting "out of memory" errors from adb push and "cannot allocate memory" if I try using adb shell and try to "cp" the file to /system/etc from /data/... WTF?

:confused:

Advertisement
  2. IPvFletch

Freaky, I just did "adb push filename /system/etc" from Recovery and then I looked and /system/etc is a file. I'm like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Then I rebooted and all is well. Then I went back to Recovery and looked. It's just a vfs made on the fly, and there is no /system/etc just a /system/bin so me pushing a file merely made a file there, it isn't the real /system/etc LOL that was scary!!

So seriously, any ideas on writing to /system/etc while Android is running? I did the unrEVOked 3.2.1 root a while back, I left S=ON just FYI..

3. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

Can you copy it with root explorer? If that still doesn't work try the terminal emulator with su.

4. IPvFletch

No it is RW but it is read only some how.

I just re-ran unrevoked3 and this time did S-OFF nand unlock. Now it works and I can copy it over using adb push or like you said via teminal. I'm happy. :]

5. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

Oh, right, I should have suggested that. Glad you got it working.