• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Capacitive Touchscreen Issues

brawlman

Dec 3, 2016
Wanted to see if anyone else is having issues with functions with their capacitive touchscreen (listed below).
After the first update VS99511A i had the issue #6. Performed an FDR and no change.
After the 2nd software update VS99512A,all the other issues started, which an FDR corrected all but the paste or screen location with the cursor.
I worked with VZW Tier 2 tech support Kelly on 12/14/16 that noted all the issues,but when i called back and spoke with another tier 2 rep Retha she stated there were no updates. Kelly says they would expedite this to LG, but perhaps it didn't make it that far or didn't get input?
Anyway, Retha had me try a new feature in which you're suppose to connect the V20 to a PC and downloadthe VZW software update tool to update or repair the phone. In my case the button to do either was grayed out and not accessible.
Putting that PC into safe mode or turning off all security measures changed nothing!
Phone had to be in "file transfer" mode, dragging the notification bar down and changing to "charge only".

For what it's worth, according to Verizon community there is no current calibrating the capacitive touch screen...

Unable to calibrate screen,per Verizon

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-208177/

"Touch Screen Settings - LG V20™

This device uses capacitive multi-touch technology. Screen calibration is not supported at this time. The capacitive touchscreen requires your skin to touch the screen. If you are using a screen protector your screen may not work as designed."

Carrier:VZW
  1. Copy or paste function, in my case it is with the paste function. It simply would not paste even after long pressing where i wanted to paste, to include over the gold cursor!
  2. Parts of my screen i would tap and would not respond! As in going to that spot or moving side to side reading a pdf
  3. Within Textra, text app, i would tap on an existing contact and instead of being able to text it would select that contact as if i long pressed and selected it. Ever had Textra support saying i was long pressing and selecting when i wasn't
  4. At times i would press the 2nd screen to turn off Bluetooth or change the sound to vibrate and would go into settings to change that key!
  5. Bottom capacitive keys of back, home and opened apps keys wouldn't respond!
  6. Swiftkey keyboard any time I'd swipe txt a word with an "m" i'd get an "!" As the alt function of long pressing...

Reactions: VinZentech
I have found lapses in my touch screen capabilities as well. I purchased it just yesterday and just started exploring functions. I happened to pick up on the inconsistency/innacuracy while playing a mobile game. A terrible gap in real time response is occurring. I will test in drawing/writing apps as well... Hopefully its stylus friendly. I attempted to calibrate using the motion sensor calibrator under settings > display > advanced. No discerable changes occurred. I really hope a solution is found. So far i really like the phone and would be dissapointed in having to return it.

Upvote 0
Wanted to see if anyone else is having issues with functions with their capacitive touchscreen (listed below).
After the first update VS99511A i had the issue #6. Performed an FDR and no change.
After the 2nd software update VS99512A,all the other issues started, which an FDR corrected all but the paste or screen location with the cursor.
I worked with VZW Tier 2 tech support Kelly on 12/14/16 that noted all the issues,but when i called back and spoke with another tier 2 rep Retha she stated there were no updates. Kelly says they would expedite this to LG, but perhaps it didn't make it that far or didn't get input?
Anyway, Retha had me try a new feature in which you're suppose to connect the V20 to a PC and downloadthe VZW software update tool to update or repair the phone. In my case the button to do either was grayed out and not accessible.
Putting that PC into safe mode or turning off all security measures changed nothing!
Phone had to be in "file transfer" mode, dragging the notification bar down and changing to "charge only".

For what it's worth, according to Verizon community there is no current calibrating the capacitive touch screen...

Unable to calibrate screen,per Verizon

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-208177/

"Touch Screen Settings - LG V20™

This device uses capacitive multi-touch technology. Screen calibration is not supported at this time. The capacitive touchscreen requires your skin to touch the screen. If you are using a screen protector your screen may not work as designed."

Carrier:VZW
  1. Copy or paste function, in my case it is with the paste function. It simply would not paste even after long pressing where i wanted to paste, to include over the gold cursor!
  2. Parts of my screen i would tap and would not respond! As in going to that spot or moving side to side reading a pdf
  3. Within Textra, text app, i would tap on an existing contact and instead of being able to text it would select that contact as if i long pressed and selected it. Ever had Textra support saying i was long pressing and selecting when i wasn't
  4. At times i would press the 2nd screen to turn off Bluetooth or change the sound to vibrate and would go into settings to change that key!
  5. Bottom capacitive keys of back, home and opened apps keys wouldn't respond!
  6. Swiftkey keyboard any time I'd swipe txt a word with an "m" i'd get an "!" As the alt function of long pressing...
Found this in digital trends while considering switching to G5 (whether screen size and general programming with a slightly tighter config. would make a difference??) I also wonder whether it might be some conflict caused between the proximity sensor programming and the actual touch screen sensoral data. Heres an excerpt for an independent manual calibration for the proximity sensor... If youve tried it or have found anything else let me know. Ill give it a go in the next few days after the holiday weekend.

• Most reports have pointed out that screen protectors made of tempered glass are the reason behind the issue, as they cover the sensor.
  • Download an app like AIDA64, which you can use to see if there’s a problem with the actual sensor. Under the Sensors section, look for Proximity Sensor. Hold your hand over the phone’s sensor, and the app should display different values representing how far/close your hand is.
  • Re-calibrate the sensor. You can do this by dialing “*#546368#*[phone’s model number]#” and going to Device Test > SAAT > Service Menu Manual Test > Key Press Test > Cal Start
  • If the problem persists after trying the recommendations above, you may need to contact LG, your carrier, or your retailer to get a new device

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/lg-g5-problems/#ixzz4ThyQwI00
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | DigitalTrends on Facebook

Upvote 0
I have found lapses in my touch screen capabilities as well. I purchased it just yesterday and just started exploring functions. I happened to pick up on the inconsistency/innacuracy while playing a mobile game. A terrible gap in real time response is occurring. I will test in drawing/writing apps as well... Hopefully its stylus friendly. I attempted to calibrate using the motion sensor calibrator under settings > display > advanced. No discerable changes occurred. I really hope a solution is found. So far i really like the phone and would be dissapointed in having to return it.
What Carrier are you with? My Verizon settings doesn't have a calibrate... :O(
I ordered a second V20 through Costco, since they have a 90 day return window and was told by the kiosk lady that they give you 30 days to return the original phone before they charge full price. Anyway, the 2nd V20 shows the same 2nd screen long press issues with a tap of the screen. I did an Factory Data Reset (FDR) on the phone for a user error on my part and will post an update to what I find...
I have contacted LG and reported all of my current findings, to include the second V20 and was told to FDR the phone and if it still persists to send it in... At this point I told LG in a feedback email that the issue lies within the phone if (2) of them are identically doing the same flaw...
There's a new flaw in the "automatic brightness" that I've found and might start another post, but since it applies to the capacitive touch screen I'll see how it plays out. What it does is
1) The "automatic brightness" as the name elludes would lead you to believe it would adjust the brightness of the screen in low or bright light conditions. It does not! Have you ever noticed in a dim lighting situation if the screen brightens? Neither phone does this... Could this be related to having the "comfort view" turned on? Reported this as well to LG via feedback...
2) Why would the instructions right below the "Automatic Brightness" say "Your screen brightness can adjust automatically. Use the slider to set the baseline brightness." Why does one need to set the baseline if its suppose to automatically adjust?
3) On my 1st V20 when the "Automatic Brightness" was on and the screen was dim at about 51% I adjusted the baseline as it instructs and what it did (3) times in a row shocked me! It went from 71% and the slider moved on its own to the left to "0"!
When I did the same thing to V20 #2 it went the opposite way and got brighter, but did not max out... Mixed power source of battery and plugged in...
3b) 2nd V20 after FDR has not shown any signs of "Automatic Brightness" moving after the baseline was adjusted...

Upvote 0
Update 1
Has anyone tried, if they're with Verizon, the "Verizon Wireless Software Upgrade Assistant?"
http://www.lg.com/us/support/software-firmware-drivers
My only point is whether or not the button to upgrade is grayed out or if it is clickable?
The whole point of this software, according to a Tier 2 tech support at Verizon, is to upgrade your phone software via a PC or MAC and not do it Over the Air (OTA). Apparently OTA, even with a good Wi-Fi signal, can still have issues and someone thought of this tool, but with (2) V20's later it doesn't work? LG when asked about it said to FDR the 2nd V20...
Even after a FDR on the 2nd V20 it didn't make a difference...
Other side note is to communicate with the phone via the USB C cable you need to pull the notification screen down from the top and change the "USB charge only" to either "File Transfer" or "Software Update" to get the PC/MAC to recognize the phone after the software and its drivers install. If you need any help hit me up...

If you have another carrier, use the model number listed under settings/about phone/hardware info or the equivalent to get the info. For the above Verizon the model number is VS995 for the V20 and under software update and below it will show "software update tool".

I've attached a copy of what I sent to LG feedback and a copy of what the Verizon software update tool looks like and the visual of what I was describing...

Attachments

• V20 Software update tool issues_blurred.PNG
    V20 Software update tool issues_blurred.PNG
    385.2 KB · Views: 312
  • LG V20 Issues Reported_Blurred.png
    LG V20 Issues Reported_Blurred.png
    284.4 KB · Views: 348
Upvote 0
Found this in digital trends while considering switching to G5 (whether screen size and general programming with a slightly tighter config. would make a difference??) I also wonder whether it might be some conflict caused between the proximity sensor programming and the actual touch screen sensoral data. Heres an excerpt for an independent manual calibration for the proximity sensor... If youve tried it or have found anything else let me know. Ill give it a go in the next few days after the holiday weekend.

• Most reports have pointed out that screen protectors made of tempered glass are the reason behind the issue, as they cover the sensor.
  • Download an app like AIDA64, which you can use to see if there’s a problem with the actual sensor. Under the Sensors section, look for Proximity Sensor. Hold your hand over the phone’s sensor, and the app should display different values representing how far/close your hand is.
  • Re-calibrate the sensor. You can do this by dialing “*#546368#*[phone’s model number]#” and going to Device Test > SAAT > Service Menu Manual Test > Key Press Test > Cal Start
  • If the problem persists after trying the recommendations above, you may need to contact LG, your carrier, or your retailer to get a new device

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/lg-g5-problems/#ixzz4ThyQwI00
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | DigitalTrends on Facebook
I installed the AIDA64 app but saw no change of the sensors under-
"LGE Knock-on proximity sensor" or
"LGE Virtual proximity sensor"
my phones model # is : VS995 and tried "#VS995#" and "*#VS9953*" with no luck and saw no way to calibrate the sensor let alone the screen? No screen protector on...

Upvote 0
do you have a case on the phone? do you have the same issues with the case off?

Theory - case edge might be on the sense area - might have an effect.

Have you cleaned the screen with say rubbing alcohol and a cloth - then had issue. there might be salt/oil residue on the screen that might cause some erratic moments. I have this issues from time to time but so far not on the v20.

The calibration thing is probably a function of the multi-touch system. Have you sent your issues to LG your self?

Upvote 0
do you have a case on the phone? do you have the same issues with the case off?
No case and no screen protector...

Theory - case edge might be on the sense area - might have an effect.

Have you cleaned the screen with say rubbing alcohol and a cloth - then had issue. there might be salt/oil residue on the screen that might cause some erratic moments. I have this issues from time to time but so far not on the v20.

Screen kept Clean...

The calibration thing is probably a function of the multi-touch system. Have you sent your issues to LG your self?
I'm still troubleshooting the 2nd V20...
Now a new problem has emerged with the 2nd V20. Same email settings for Time Warner and Gmail with K9 email and tried the alt Time Warner server settings and I can't get email from either new setup after FDR...

Upvote 0
I'm still troubleshooting the 2nd V20...
Now a new problem has emerged with the 2nd V20. Same email settings for Time Warner and Gmail with K9 email and tried the alt Time Warner server settings and I can't get email from either new setup after FDR...
Meant that the same email settings that worked on the 1st V20 don't work on the 2nd V20...

Upvote 0
What Carrier are you with? My Verizon settings doesn't have a calibrate... :O(
I ordered a second V20 through Costco, since they have a 90 day return window and was told by the kiosk lady that they give you 30 days to return the original phone before they charge full price. Anyway, the 2nd V20 shows the same 2nd screen long press issues with a tap of the screen. I did an Factory Data Reset (FDR) on the phone for a user error on my part and will post an update to what I find...
I have contacted LG and reported all of my current findings, to include the second V20 and was told to FDR the phone and if it still persists to send it in... At this point I told LG in a feedback email that the issue lies within the phone if (2) of them are identically doing the same flaw...
There's a new flaw in the "automatic brightness" that I've found and might start another post, but since it applies to the capacitive touch screen I'll see how it plays out. What it does is
1) The "automatic brightness" as the name elludes would lead you to believe it would adjust the brightness of the screen in low or bright light conditions. It does not! Have you ever noticed in a dim lighting situation if the screen brightens? Neither phone does this... Could this be related to having the "comfort view" turned on? Reported this as well to LG via feedback...
2) Why would the instructions right below the "Automatic Brightness" say "Your screen brightness can adjust automatically. Use the slider to set the baseline brightness." Why does one need to set the baseline if its suppose to automatically adjust?
3) On my 1st V20 when the "Automatic Brightness" was on and the screen was dim at about 51% I adjusted the baseline as it instructs and what it did (3) times in a row shocked me! It went from 71% and the slider moved on its own to the left to "0"!
When I did the same thing to V20 #2 it went the opposite way and got brighter, but did not max out... Mixed power source of battery and plugged in...
3b) 2nd V20 after FDR has not shown any signs of "Automatic Brightness" moving after the baseline was adjusted...

The automatic brightness is definitely buggy. Everybody has this problem. I have no idea how this made it through QA.

The way it's supposed to work is that it allows you to adjust the brightness, with the auto setting on, and it attempts to keep the same apparent brightness in any level of lighting. Instead it greys out the setting and turns the brightness down to 0%.

Reactions: brawlman
Upvote 0
The automatic brightness is definitely buggy. Everybody has this problem. I have no idea how this made it through QA.

The way it's supposed to work is that it allows you to adjust the brightness, with the auto setting on, and it attempts to keep the same apparent brightness in any level of lighting. Instead it greys out the setting and turns the brightness down to 0%.
TY SirStephenH for the confirmation that I'm not the only one with this issue... Hopefully LG will do something about it, but this takes due diligence on the part of the consumer to notify them and leave the ball in their court...
I think I'll start a separate post just for "V20 issues reported to LG"

Upvote 0
I've got nothing. my auto brightness seems to work OK - it does lag when I go to a dark place. IE go from bright room, to dark room - takes a good second or 2.

the unregistered touches - I seem to have that with any touch device I use so I can't say I have issues with my V20 vs any other product. I have the same issue on apple things, my old samsung, my older moto, the dell tablet I have at work, etc etc. I figure it's mostly me

Upvote 0
This intrigues me most of all.

have you tried using an app other than K9 to see if it acts differently?

what sort of error message do you get. not connected, or invalid user?
Figured this one out last night. Somehow I had my Thunderbird email on PC to not "Leave message on server" and wasn't checked. Compared both V20's and when both weren't getting email I knew something was up. All is well now...
Not even Time Warner had me check this out, and had one more go around with my email settings and it popped out at me...

Upvote 0
So I have to come back to say - I do have a specific touchscreen response issue. Or rather lack of.

One app in particular - Ecobee application - doesn't respond for crap to my screen touches. Now this is app specific but it won't hardly every scroll - like off the main menu.

I don't think I have issues with other apps or rather I sure don't notice this - but the ecobee app stands out as troublesome.

which makes me think perhaps some issue might be app specific. I've never run into that before. but I guess it's feasible.

Also notice that for equivalent useage - the ecobee app uses significant power.

Upvote 0
I am also having issues with my touch screen..it does not recognize my input and when it does, it doesnt input my text letters correctly or just plain ignores my input. Also copying and pasting issues as well. I've written to LG twice about this and they just said to return it or do a factory reset. I am passed my 15 days to return it to T-Mobile. A factory reset did not help the problem. I also did the test another member posted above but that also did not fix my problem. I hope that something will be done about this issue soon! It is definitely annoying!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones