Capitalization Issues

Last Updated:

1. JellyBean25

JellyBean25 New Member

Just updated my Samsung Captivate to 2.3. One problem that I'm seeing that's more annoying than problematic is that when texting, the auto-capitalization works right after a period at the end of the sentence. However, it does not work after a question mark or exclamation point.

Any advice on how to fix this?

2. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me! VIP Member

It may sound silly but are you hitting the space after an question mark or exclamation point?

And welcome to Android Forums!
  3. JellyBean25

JellyBean25 New Member

Yes. I use the text messages in the same way as I had before, but capitalization is not automatic following all punctuation and spaces. I am a stickler for being grammatically correct in text messages. So, I would think the normal typing functions would be automatic. I think it's mostly frustrating that the old version functions normally, and the new one is worse.
  4. BabyBlues

That is definitely strange. Check in settings under Language and Keyboard to make sure all those settings are properly checked as well?
  5. JellyBean25

JellyBean25 New Member

Yes. I tried that too, based on some other forums. The phone is having other issues as well. So, I will likely trade up anyway.
  6. BabyBlues

Sorry to hear you're having so many problems with it
  7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

The gingerbread update for the Captivate wasn't the best implementation. You could try a different keyboard to see if it's system-wide. Enable Swype and see if that has the same problems. I have my Captivate flashed to ICS which puts the GB update to shame, but it's not my daily phone, so I can play with it.
    BabyBlues likes this.