• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Capping data plans

I've been asking VZW for tiered data plans for over a year. I don't think it's fair for someone like my wife to have to pay $30/mo for the amount of data usage she uses. I might use 2-3x what she uses and it's still not a lot. I did track it for a while using some application.... Will install that again and monitor it for a week or so.

Upvote 0
Verizon WILL be dropping to a tiered structure, they already stated so but in reference to when they light up LTE. This just gives them more reasoning. I think tiered would be ok for some AS LONG AS THEY DON"T DROP UNLIMITED. Something like $10 - 200mb, $15 - 500mb, $20 - 2gb, $30 - still unlimited and I'd be happy. They should also add in an automatic system to roll your account over to the next "step" so you don't get hammered with overages.

Upvote 0
Verizon WILL be dropping to a tiered structure, they already stated so but in reference to when they light up LTE. This just gives them more reasoning. I think tiered would be ok for some AS LONG AS THEY DON"T DROP UNLIMITED. Something like $10 - 200mb, $15 - 500mb, $20 - 2gb, $30 - still unlimited and I'd be happy. They should also add in an automatic system to roll your account over to the next "step" so you don't get hammered with overages.

I would be good with that. If they drop the unlimited I am screwed though. My average is around 6 Gb a month.

Upvote 0
I have a feeling that they will probably come up with some reasonable tiered plans for data, but I fear that they will increase the price for unlimited or force you to pay for tethering in order to have unlimited. I think many of us in a 2 or 3 data plan household will be paying the same amount or more no matter what.

I currently pay $60 a month for my girlfriend and I to have unlimited data. She could easily go with a cheaper tier data plan for say 200 Mb for $15, but I would have to go with the unlimited w/ tethering for say $45 a month. I would still be at $60 a month, but now with the added concern that my girl might go over her data limit.

Upvote 0
I would still be at $60 a month, but now with the added concern that my girl might go over her data limit.

If they do something like AT&T did, they automatically add an additional 200 MB for $10 or something. At least they don't hit you with way-overpriced per megabyte overages.

Also, if you catch the overage on AT&T before the end of the billing cycle, you can change the plan to the 2 GB plan and not pay an overage, and then switch back (without affecting your contract) after the billing cycle is over.

Or so I have heard...

Upvote 0
What type of activities use the most data? I use wifi whenever it is available, but of course the 3G network is always there if I need it. I know any apps that stream audio or video use a lot. Pandora and MLB At Bat are probably where I use the most data - especially since I like to use those in the car so wifi is not an option. Is navigation a data hog? I think my data usage varies a lot depending on how much driving I'm doing for work. If I'm home a lot, I barely even use the phone. The signal is poor in my area so I still have to rely on my land line for voice. And I have wifi, so I never use the network at home.

Upvote 0
I did track it for a while using some application.... Will install that again and monitor it for a week or so.
The app I referred to is "3D Watchdog". Installed it again last night...

I did use Navigation (just for kicks) on the way to work this morning, a ~20 minute drive. Today, including e-mail syncing and whatever else goes on in the background, I've used ... a whopping 2.22mb ! Looks like Navi doesn't use much data. Does it send/receive all via GPS ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones