• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cappy motherboard LCD nightmare

shanesxe

Lurker
May 27, 2013
This is my first post on a forum...ever. But, Im desperate. I read through about 6 pages and didnt find anything even remotely close to this subject. I recently acquired a Samsung Galaxy Captivate from my buddy and the screen was scratched.
No problem, right?
I got a replacement digitizer (the lcd was going out as well) and installed it.
Now the problem I have is, When i went to lift the old digitizer from the motherboard (the part where you remove the camera, speaker jack, home key and lcd connections), it seems that I accidentally broke off two pieces from the motherboard near where the LCD connector snaps onto the motherboard. There are three or four of these little parts on eachside of the connector port and they seem to be identical. I dont know how ele to describe it, as Im not THAT tech savvy (but i thought i could repair a smartphone. Heh.) So my question is:
Is there any way I can have this fixed/replaced/repaired?
I have tons of stuff, files, data, memories on my cappy and I Dont want to lose them.

The phone turns on, and I can hear the startup sounds (I got a kik message over wifi just now (i heard the notification go off) so i know the phone is fully functional, justthe screendoesnt display) The phone, when starting up, is black with white/gray pixels scattered about, but pasy the ATT screen, its totally black. Its like, some pixels work, but others dont.
Just to recap, there are two pieces around the lcd connector on my motherboard that seem to have been broken off (likely due to overly hardprying) and I dont know what I should do.

Ive looked at cell phone repair shops and they all offer the same stuff. (water damage repair, screen repair, unlocking etc)

Any advice, oh gurus of Android wisdom?

Thanks for the advice olbriar. I'm on a temporary phone now and I cannot wait to get my cappy fixed. Since I bought a brand new digitizer, I'm thinking about getting a used cappy with a busted lcd/screen and fixing it up to sell. But first, I'll check for repair shops in the area.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones