Captivate and 4g

Last Updated:

1. IDAHOBuck

IDAHOBuck Member This Topic's Starter

I was wondering when AT&T go to 4g sometime next year will the captivate get to use the 4g service.

Advertisement
  2. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Well-Known Member

There is no offical 4g standard yet. The Evo uses wimax.

Therefore at&t can not go to something that doesn't exist.

3. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

LTE (long term evolution) and wimax are commonly refered to as "4g" since it will be the next generation up from 3g, even though an "official" 4g standard has not be diclaired.

AT&T to Deploy 4G LTE Network in 2011

AT&T is working on a LTE network upgrade to fire up in the middle of next year. If they use the frequencies they use now to pump out this new standard it might be possible for phones like the Captivate touse them. But there are much more factors than just the frequency...

The answer is, I dont know. AT&T and Samsung might not even know yet.

4. p1gnone

p1gnone Active Member

AT&T and VZ both will be trialing in selected markets in less than 6 months.

In the case of AT&T there will eventually be LTE, 3G, and 2G hardware on every tower. The Captivate would require an additional radio to use LTE. SO not happening, hence no gain from LTE on Captivate. But then there will continue to be back compatibility for some time.

Surely similar plans hold for VzW [with resp to back compatibility].

I'm not simply reading press but know this as a somewhat insider in both camps.

5. dayv

dayv Member

By the time there is any real substantial LTE coverage available from ATT most of us will have a different phone or be ready for a new phone

p1gnone likes this.
  6. rubiconjp

rubiconjp Well-Known Member

And knowing ATT, they will nickel and dime us from the 4g LTE service. Unless there are unlimited data and tethering/hotspot, all for reasonable rate, 4G on a small phone does nothing for me.

7. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

is the captivate able to do 4G speeds?

8. Snow_Fox

Snow_Fox Well-Known Member

Pff.. I live in louisiana.. I could get a captivate now.. and in 2 years *Still* be waiting on 4g.

9. rubiconjp

No... to handle 4g LTE, a new DSP chip would be required, even if they use the same frequencies and antenna.

10. rubiconjp

11. p1gnone

p1gnone Active Member

Exactly..18 months to 2 yrs is long enough for everything to change: processor speed, screen size, screen touch technology, and wireless data system. Two yrs ago I had a iPhone 3g: much slower, single process,early touch technology. Was fine then, but why would I still want such?

12. bill.g

bill.g Well-Known Member

The captivate as it is now will not be able to use the LTE 4G that at&t is rolling out, much less anyone else's since it does not have the antenna for this service in it.

13. RavenFox

RavenFox VIP Member VIP Member

I swear there was a post in this very forum where one of our posters [I think resides in Canada] was able to get the captivate to see 4G but was restricted by network protocols?
    The phone was hacked of course and they were trying different things. Anyone remember this? Or I could be wrong *shrugs*

14. p1gnone

p1gnone Active Member

US testing is just getting set up..Much cell site hardware to install...so in a word the Canadian presence already or even US: unlikely

15. marcus304j

marcus304j Member

4g speeds? I'd be happy if AT&T could fix the 150K upload speed on 3G!

16. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

17. jdCaptivate

jdCaptivate Well-Known Member

What 150k problem? I get at least 380k upload on 3G.

18. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

I think I read in that press release about the 4G rollout to a measly 75 million users that the bandwidth frequency used will be 700 mhz with AWS (how T mo made their HSPA+ on their 3G bands) for their LTE. If that is the case, the Captivate simply does NOT have the radio (hardware) for it.

19. ShannonPricePhoto

ShannonPricePhoto Active Member

they need to have a LOT more 3G coverage first... sucks moving to a new town and losing 3g.

20. emuneee

emuneee Well-Known Member

There is more involved with the LTE rollout than you guys know...what's with the constant complaining. 75 million people may not be a lot, but there is no rush for AT&T. AT&T will rollout LTE on 700MHz/1700MHz because those were the bands that were auctioned off. They can't use their existing spectrum because it would reduce 3G/2G capacity and people would complain even more.

They have a lot more headroom with their HSPA network than Verizon does with EVDO...which explains Verizon's urgency. T-Mobile doesn't have the money (nor spectrum) to move to LTE quickly....which is why they are marketing an rolling out HSPA+.

There isn't a phone out right now that supports LTE either way.

21. RavenFox

RavenFox VIP Member VIP Member

22. yahoowizard

yahoowizard Well-Known Member

In English, Captivate doesn't have the hardware to pull off a 4G speed, the same way the oldest iPhone can't use 3G speeds. The best we can do is use HSUPA, which is faster than 3G and slower than 4G which the T-Mobile Vibrant is able to use (I think it's called 3.5G, but I can't confirm that). The Captivate is able to use it, too, but AT&T has only given access to HSUPA to the iPhone. Time goes on, blah blah, ROM's start to come out with HSUPA (check XDA's development section for the Captivate), but ROM's such as Cognition stopped integrating HSUPA into their ROM's since they claim that between Froyo's internet speed and HSUPA, there's not that big of a difference and that there is a lot of battery drain with HSUPA. Basically, they don't think it's worth it for the small speed increase, but a lot of ROM's still have it if you're interested.