Captivate and Mac

Last Updated:

1. bake

bake Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys and gals, I was trying to decide if I wanted to get a Captivate and get rid of this iPhone 3GS I have. I'm almost ready to jump ship, the only concern I have is if the Captivate and more importantly Android as a whole will play nice with my Macbook Pro. I want to get most if not all of my music from iTunes on the phone. I had heard something about having a hard time with ROMs on the phone with a mac, any explanation for that? Just trying to get all my bases covered, thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. King Stampede

King Stampede Well-Known Member

I have a iMac and have not had any problems putting music on to my Captivate.

I only did it once as I really don't care to put music on my phone but when I did it was easy as drag and drop the music files into a music folder once my Captivate was connected to my iMac.

3. bake

Cool, thats good to know. Any problems with rooting the phone on a mac? I wasn't sure if that would be different.

4. NOSintake

NOSintake Well-Known Member

Rooting seemed to be a lot easier if you asked me on a Mac. Everyone on Windows has to worry about which OS they are on, and if its 32 vs 64bit. The whole thing was pretty painless for me. The only difference comes when you are in terminal, and editing files on your phone. All the guides say "adb...", and on Mac the only difference is using "./adb...".

So for example:
    Win - adb push
    Mac - ./adb push

If you have any issues rooting, just be sure to reread everything, contact the OP or contact someone with a Mac.

As for music, I use doubletwist, and it gets the job done. Not as appeasing to the eyes as iTunes or using an iPod, but if you want your music, it's a way to go

5. bake

Sweet, thanks. How hard was rooting the phone?

6. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

It's extremely easy. Just downloading a file and rebooting. See the sticky for more help :)

7. bake

Thanks! This place is great! If anybody else has anything to add about the mac part I'll be sure to take note. Thanks again!

8. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

Also, in case you run into the issue where the Mac won't show the Cappy, you might have to put it in Debug mode. To do this, go under settings->applications->developer and check "debug mode." At first my Cappy wouldn't show up either on my iMac or in Doubletwist, but for whatever reason this fixes it.

9. sridroid

sridroid New Member

I use Cyberduck for Mac and SwiFTP FTP Server App on the Captivate, to transfer Music and Photos to the SD Card. Works great, no usb cables to connect.

10. AKA_Rizzo

AKA_Rizzo Well-Known Member

He mumbles but I believe this is it.

I'm pretty right brained so I need to see a person do something more than I need 3 pages of detailed instructions.

Can someone who has rooted their phone verify this is the correct way to do it ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNmgJ9M4meE

11. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

you can root the phone with an app called "oclf", you do it all on the phone. its the easiest way imo

12. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Yes. Outlined here:
    Root - CapFAQ

13. bake

Wow, didn't even know people were using this thread :)

Rooting is easy, and I used the update.zip method, its one of the easiest things I've done and have no trouble using my phone with a mac. It could only get bad if I mess it up, because odin doesn't work with it.

14. ardreyer

ardreyer New Member

___ i tried this and my mac will pick up the phone, but it won't in itunes, do u kno how to fix this?:confused: