Captivate Battery/Charging QuestionSupport

Last Updated:

1. Mattheux

Mattheux New Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my Captivate for just over a week and desperately want to keep it but I'm having trouble getting past the 4 hour charging time I'm experiencing.

Battery Life and charging speed- The battery life has improved over the past week and seems to be acceptable. Charge and drain a couple times helps a lot. I wouldn't call it great but I can get through most of a day with moderate usage now. The problem is that it takes almost 4 hours to recharge the phone. I've seen reports that match my experience as well as reports of recharges in 60 or 90 minutes. Does anyone know what the recharge time should be? If it's really supposed to be 3 to 4 hours then that I may have to look for another solution. I often need to recharge around 4 or 5 pm to make it though the evening. I don't have the time to let it sit and charge. Could it be the supplied charger? When charging the phone, I get the USB connected symbol and the phone gives me the option to select the type of USB connection to use. The charging info in Settings/About also shows USB charging. Should this not say AC charging if I'm plugged into the wall. Can anyone confirm this? Additional charging note: When charging in the car today, I heard engine noise through my car stereo. It went away when I unplugged the charger. Never had that happen with any other phone/charger combination.

Advertisement
  2. AJPTransport

AJPTransport Active Member

Ive had my Vibrant for 2 days now and the battery absolutely sucks! I love the phone except for this. I cant even make it a half day then when I get to the gym and play some tunes, she goes dead!

3. dnubpa

dnubpa Member

For me, also, the battery life is my only complain with my Galaxy. If any 3rd part supplier could make a Li-Pol one, or a bit bigger one, of course that in this case we also will need to have a different battery cover.

4. latetext

latetext Member

Yeah I just got a captivate last monday (my first android :), but I'm not digging the battery life. It gives me 12% battery LEFT after 7 hours of use (with my display killing 50% of the battery)... Is that normal? I've turned down brightness and screen timeout to the lowest possible settings now

5. Geryatrix

Geryatrix Well-Known Member

@mathheux
    If your phone is saying usb connected, it means that you are not using the correct charger, Non Samsung chargers do not have the correct wiring in the micro-USB plug to tell the phone that it's on a mains charger, and therefore the phone will only take a max of 500 mA which is the max that a computer USB connection will give.

With my Samsung charger I can charge from 15% to 90% in just over an hour, but when I'm working on the computer and plug the phone in the USB port for a top-up it tends to charge about 10% in 1/2 hour.

6. SneezyBibi

SneezyBibi New Member

I know this thread is over a year old. I've had my (new) Captivate a week, (I've gone through 3 since March 2011... long story shortened they just kept breaking with no physical damage to them) Anyway!! This captivate lasts about a day and a half with moderate text/calls/game usage. I have had plenty of other Android phones and always would keep it on the charger when at all possible. I have learned from this mistake. Those batteries would only last me at the MOST 8 hrs. I suggest buying a new battery and doing things the right way, only charge the battery when it's really close to dying or has died. and your battery will prevail! And never leave it on the charger after it says "100% charged" I did that ONCE with my new captivate, and the battery life that day was CRAP, I have my old battery charged in my purse JUST IN CASE i'm out without my charger and it dies, which hasn't happened yet. I also have to use my phone in the car for the speedometer because mine is broken. SO that is the general usage of my phone and battery life.

7. SneezyBibi

SneezyBibi New Member

and yes, I've noticed Charging times when "USB" connected is longer than wall charging. definitely make sure you are using the charger provided.

8. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

This is not random, but there are reasons for this based upon the USB spec and how it works. Since the wall charger isn't a computer, it doesn't have to follow the strict USB port device rules about how much current can be allowed.

Sometimes you can get better charging on the computer end by ensuring you have the proper drivers. My Blackberry, for example, will not charge from a PC USB port at all without drivers installed.