Captivate cannot record WAVs?

Last Updated:

1. phr00t

phr00t Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

I've had my Captivate since launch... and I just noticed a weird problem. Can any of you get any WAV recording applications to work?

I've tried MicDroid and Hertz Wave Recorder... both generate WAVs that are significantly shortened and chopped up, and sometimes unreadable.

Voice Recorder records AMR's fine, and another Voice Recorder app I tried recorded 3gp audio OK. Just seems like recording uncompressed WAVs are a problem.

Why is this? Does it work for anyone? [​IMG]

Advertisement
  2. rkirkr

rkirkr Active Member

I've also wondered about WAV files, but I want to know whether I can get them to play on the Captivate.

I have a MagicJack set up on my home computer and when someone leaves a voicemail message at that number, the MagicJack emails a notification with a WAV file attached of that voicemail. I had a Palm Treo before this that had Windows Media Player and whenever I opened the email attachment on my Treo the file was immediately routed to and played by the Windows Player. I haven't been able to get the file to work yet through any player available through the Apps for Droid. Am I missing something that will make this file play? Thanks.

3. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is a common issue among 2.1 users, since it can't register all of the RAM the phone has...

4. rkirkr

rkirkr Active Member

As I'm new to Android I'm not sure what the difference would be with this file and the issue of 2.1 vs. 2.2. As I said I did have a Windows based Palm Treo before and this file attachment would easily play from my Palm into its Windows Media Player. Is there a similar work around, or player, that would make this file playable?

5. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Perhaps instead of wrestling with the Captivate, perhaps address whatever archaic application is still spitting out WAV files? Ancient file format, and horrible for being uncompressed.

6. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Well-Known Member

wav files play fine on my phone

7. danix180

danix180 Member

I agree. Stock Voice Recorder sucks on Captivate. They need to get this fixed. The voice is over processes and it sounds as chipmunks.

For me Rehearsal Assistant works the best. You can chose .wav or .3gp.

8. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member

I've been using TapeMachine and it's doing fine. It also has some basic editing capabilities.

9. phr00t

phr00t Active Member This Topic's Starter

The original problem has been identified... basically, Galaxy S devices return incorrect "buffer size" values to applications looking to record WAV files. MicDroid has fixed this by defaulting to a higher buffer size on Galaxy S devices. This problem had nothing to do with playing WAVs, or using applications that used other formats.

10. manderson96

manderson96 New Member

How are you doing this? Do have an application that does this?