Captivate Custom ROMs

Last Updated:

1. JBM12G

JBM12G New Member This Topic's Starter

Recently I got a Captivate on Rogers (I'm Canadian) and I would like to root it and use a custom ROM. What are the pros and cons of some different ROMs. I like the look of stock froyo but hate the white notification bar. If I just go for a stock froyo ROM is there an easy way to get a black/grey notification bar? I'm new to these forums and android so if I am doing anything wrong please tell me.

Advertisement
  2. C.C.W.

C.C.W. Well-Known Member

Flash to Axura RC2. No need for discussion of other ROMs.

The End.

3. chadbobb

chadbobb Member

Care to back up that claim CCW? I'm not disagreeing, as I have no opinion. I am just trying to learn :)

4. C.C.W.

C.C.W. Well-Known Member

Just head on over to XDA and read the hundreds of pages related to it and you will attest.

5. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

Well, Axura does sound like a good one for the Captivate, but I'm not happy with having to futz around with getting Swype back on after I flash it. Sremick made me aware of Assonance, that one comes with Swype in it, and it isn't far from a stock ROM with Froyo and some other nice tweaks, so I'm following that one now, too. Be cautious, read a lot, don't jump in with both feet until you understand the process - I've seen too many people with stuck phones because they didn't.

6. calsax

calsax Active Member

rainbow has it right! Spend a LOT of time on the XDA-Developers forums and learn all you can about rooting, flashing, and un-rooting. Make sure you understand what you are doing, and why. Make sure you have all the tools you need to succeed. I'm currently using Perception, but am going to try out Axura and/or Assonance soon.

7. JBM12G

JBM12G New Member This Topic's Starter

I think I will try Axura because I love the theme! However Assonance looks good too. One thing I noticed is that the locale is set to USA. Will that affect me being in Canada? I'm not ready for this rooting thing just yet. But I am very good with computers and have a lot of experience jailbreaking IOS so i'm not too worried.

8. viny2cool

viny2cool Well-Known Member

Assonance 4.3 with xcaliburinhand's I9000 reoriented v2.2.0 12.09.2010...works like a butter

9. cs97jb

cs97jb Member

I have an non-rooted Captivate running 2.1. If I want to, can I root and install a custom Froyo ROM?

10. reinbeau

Yes, but I have to say, if you're asking the question, you probably shouldn't. Be careful, out on the XDA Captivate development forum to read up on the whole process and understand it, before you do.

11. cs97jb

cs97jb Member

Thanks Reinbeau. Can you tell why you feel I shouldn't? I understand that you feel that by me asking the question, you know that I have never done this before (am you're right) but I would like your opinion on why you feel I shouldn't. Is it because you feel I might rush into doing it and then ruin my phone?

12. reinbeau

Only because you haven't read up on it enough. I haven't flashed a ROM yet either, for that very reason. If you hang out enough on the forums, you'll see many people with stuck screens, endless loops, etc, all afraid that they've bricked their phones. If you read and follow and understand the process before you jump in with both feet you're far more likely to have a successful outcome. Right now I've been watching this video series (this is part 1, there are three parts) from a thread on XDA that walks you through the flashing of the Cognition ROM (you could substitute any ROM here, he just chose that one). Very enlightening, I'm getting closer to doing it myself :)

Jack45 likes this.
  13. cs97jb

cs97jb Member

Excellent - I completely understand about waiting and learning. I've been constantly reading about flashing and do not plan on doing it until I understand it as fully as I can and can find the best method of doing it.

Can you recommend the best way of rooting?

14. reinbeau

I used Ryan's One Click Lag Fix, unfortunately it seems to have disappeared from the market. If you've mastered sideloading, you could use Z4Root, that used to be on the market, but Google has pulled many of them, don't really know why.

15. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

The Captivate FAQ (a site sticky, present in many peoples' signatures and mentioned in every other thread on here) is your friend:

Root - CapFAQ

16. Shelbster

Shelbster Guest

Reinbeau, I couldn't agree with you more. I made the mistake of trying to flash a custom ROM before I was ready. Luckily, I did not completely brick my phone. I did end up with the phone/computer symbols on my screen and my phone was completely unusable. That forced my to read up on everything I could regarding the process, and I was ultimately able to save my phone by getting it into download mode.

As easy as the process has become to root and flash ROMs, I think the inherent dangers are being overlooked/ignored.

After what I went through, I definitely recommend that everyone THOROUGHLY research before flashing for the first time. It will pay off in the long run if you run into unexpected problems.

17. cs97jb

cs97jb Member

Thanks. Do you boys happen to know if the Captivate can handle SDHC cards?

18. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

of course they can, up to 32gb

19. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

The Captivate FAQ is your friend:

MicroSD - CapFAQ

20. sandshifter

sandshifter Member

Yes and i thought i had a stuck phone and i possibly could have got it bricked because i was trying to flash the ROM LFY on my captivate >_> when the captivate isn't even compatible with that specific ROM. but i got cognition and it works great, but I'm definitely going to look at others and do research :)

My captivate is to precious to be bricked ;)