• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate Firmware Update

Yeah, I've tried all 3 Tmobiles. I'm using Advanced Task Killer to kill the market before switching. The super root permission is set to allow but it is like when I open the market up it keeps reverting back.

I also heard you could just go into airplane mode and turn on wifi and you should be able to get non market apps, i havent personally tried it that way tho.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've tried all 3 Tmobiles. I'm using Advanced Task Killer to kill the market before switching. The super root permission is set to allow but it is like when I open the market up it keeps reverting back.

Sorry for the delay in responding - was sleeping! :)

I just looked on mine (still using the AU market) and saw Slingbox (for $29.99....youch!).

Here's what I'd try, market wise if the suggestion of the poster above me doesn't work for you.

Power down the phone, and then power it back up.
Kill all tasks.
Open the Market Access app, switch to T-Mobile AU (or maybe O2 DE?), then open the market.
See if that makes a difference.

If not, best I can tell you'd have 2 options - contact the manufacturer and tell them you're having trouble finding the app on the market (how much you want to tell them there about the phone being rooted/different firmware/etc is entirely up to you - I never mentioned it) and give them your google purchase order # (as proof that you have already purchased it previously) and see if they're willing to send you the APK via e-mail or to your phone. The other would be to see if anyone else on here who has Slingbox installed can send you their APK. They'd need to be rooted though to even see where the APKs are stored on the phone. I can tell you with several of my pay apps, the manufacturers quickly replied to my e-mails with offers of help - one went so far as to send me a beta release because he didn't happen to have the version on the market in front of him.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
The GPS has changed. This was a leaked firmware so maybe the GPS fix isn't 100% on this leaked firmware... leaked firmware, leaked firmware. That being said you can connect to more sats now and it seems to be working better for me. But what this LEAKED firmware is showing us, is that they are working on fixing it.

Oh an BTW if you are using this rom

"This rom is clearly a "debug" rom. For example for the gps there is some heavy data logging going on. Make sure you turn this feature off by changing the value of cLogEnabled in the file /system/etc/jupiter.xml to "false".
This will prevent that your /data/gps/log/ directory will be filled with log files."

Upvote 0
Hmm. Looks like we lost a days worth of posts.

So I'll relink my MyTracks map from yesterday.

You'll note there's a gap in the beginning - I'm fairly certain this is from restarting the navigation again after I started MyTracks. Beyond that, the GPS/Nav experience was very smooth until the very end of the trip. When we got off of I-70, it had a bit more difficulty holding onto the satellites, but it recovered quickly each time (within seconds). If you zoom in at the end of the map, you'll see that it looks like we went off-roading several times.

The GPS isn't perfect - but it's certainly an improvement over what it was.

Upvote 0
damn guys...my captivate didn't even come in the mail yet...and reading all these posts are already scaring me...jesus!

I wouldn't get to scared. I have no problems with GPS or anything else major. The stuff I don't like has to do with the custom email app, a couple calendar issues, and some IO lag.

We know Samsung is working on the GPS, and my guess is that they are working on the IO lag issue.

This software is not an update - it is a BETA ROM that was leaked.

The captivate is no worse then any other new phone that has come out. The Droid X, Evo, iPhone have all had their share of bugs, and they all usually get ironed out - except for the design flaws in the iPhone - but that is what you get when you make a phone 90% glass and wrap the antenna all the way around the outside edge. :D

Upvote 0
I wouldn't get to scared. I have no problems with GPS or anything else major. The stuff I don't like has to do with the custom email app, a couple calendar issues, and some IO lag.

We know Samsung is working on the GPS, and my guess is that they are working on the IO lag issue.

This software is not an update - it is a BETA ROM that was leaked.

The captivate is no worse then any other new phone that has come out. The Droid X, Evo, iPhone have all had their share of bugs, and they all usually get ironed out - except for the design flaws in the iPhone - but that is what you get when you make a phone 90% glass and wrap the antenna all the way around the outside edge. :D

Have you tried the app lag fix , i know you shouldn't have to do it but that made the little lag problems go away when switching thru app and swiping screen etc

Upvote 0
I was playing with Kies today and I was prompted to update the software. I did and shortly later noticed that there was an active firmware update button on the toolbar. Frankly I am a little afraid to plug in my phone and update it. I really want to wait until there is an official version out. Will this update my firmware and do I want to do that?

Upvote 0
I was playing with Kies today and I was prompted to update the software. I did and shortly later noticed that there was an active firmware update button on the toolbar. Frankly I am a little afraid to plug in my phone and update it. I really want to wait until there is an official version out. Will this update my firmware and do I want to do that?

Ahh Im with you on that also. I havent tried it, but if its worth going for it Ill redownload Kies and try to get it to work again.

Upvote 0
Ahh Im with you on that also. I havent tried it, but if its worth going for it Ill redownload Kies and try to get it to work again.

You guys are talking about Kies software update and not samsung captivate @ SGH-i897 firmware. Are you sure about the official firmware update..i don't see the announcement anywhere.i am expecting it in september...you guys are spreading a too-good-to-believe information..:)

Upvote 0
You guys are talking about Kies software update and not samsung captivate @ SGH-i897 firmware. Are you sure about the official firmware update..i don't see the announcement anywhere.i am expecting it in september...you guys are spreading a too-good-to-believe information..:)

I am not trying to spread any rumors, just asking the question if the firmware update is available through Kies. I did the software update and then noticed the firmware button. Honestly it may have always been there. I am just to chicken to try it out. It has taken me too long to get this phone setup to work acceptable for me to fool around with a fresh start.

Upvote 0
I am not trying to spread any rumors, just asking the question if the firmware update is available through Kies. I did the software update and then noticed the firmware button. Honestly it may have always been there. I am just to chicken to try it out. It has taken me too long to get this phone setup to work acceptable for me to fool around with a fresh start.

I did not accuse you of spreading rumors either :) Anyways, the official firmware update will be available in september (thats what samsung has promised through it's official twitter post). The mode of delivery (OTA or through Kies etc.) is not yet announced. The firmware update button on the lower right hand corner of kies is always there. I am also waiting for an official release. Enough of GPS issues and 2.1 limitations.

Upvote 0
So got to use the GPS more again today as we drove my little sister to college. Part of the trip is a straight shot on the the interstate, but the remainder of the trip is a state route that is pretty well the boonies until we actually hit her university.

We deviated from the directions the Nav wanted to send us, but it pretty quickly recalculated the directions and sent us the way we were intending to go. I apparently completely lost signal at some point, but we never had any indication of that at the time, and we were watching it pretty closely.

Still, I'm very happy with the Nav. It got us there accurately, and even looking at the map shows only minor deviation (putting us slightly off road as opposed to in our lane).

Anyways, here's the link to the most recent MyTracks.

Reactions: mesasone
Upvote 0
I installed the JH2 firmware on my Captivate and it did nothing to GPS :( It's still just as bad. The only improvement seems to be battery usage, I'm definitely getting more battery life.
It also, created a new problem. When selecting an app to download from the market, it used to start within a second or 2, now it takes a few minutes for whatever reason. This is both with WiFi and 3G. Has anyone else encountered this?

Also, Samsung tweeted that they are releasing new "official" update for Captivate in September and that it is already in testing.

Upvote 0
I installed the JH2 firmware on my Captivate and it did nothing to GPS :( It's still just as bad. The only improvement seems to be battery usage, I'm definitely getting more battery life.
It also, created a new problem. When selecting an app to download from the market, it used to start within a second or 2, now it takes a few minutes for whatever reason. This is both with WiFi and 3G. Has anyone else encountered this?

Also, Samsung tweeted that they are releasing new "official" update for Captivate in September and that it is already in testing.

I agree. Same GPS issues on the new ROM. No GPS improvement that I see, does not bode well. Ran Navigator and always saw a blue circle, kept losing the lock intermittently. How difficult can it be to make the GPS work properly in a smartphone? The GPS in my ATT Tilt years ago worked better. Battery life is indeed better and media scanner does not take forever anymore to complete its tasks after rebooting the phone. Device overall seems quicker. GPS issues and lack of HUSPA are major issues still. HUSPA must affect download speeds as well. On my iphone 4 I get speeds of >3MB/s down and 1.5 MB/s up. On the Captivate, in the same location, I get 1.1-1.5 MB/s down.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones