Captivate not sending MMS messages?Support

Last Updated:

1. Terrigno

Terrigno Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok. So I just got off a half hour conversation with AT&T and We cant figure out for the life of the phone, why MMS messages cannot be sent. Although, when they did send me a small AT&T logo I did receive it. And When I sent that to myself, it did send and I received it again. I then took out my SIM and put it in my BlackBerry 9700 and MMS sent find and received fine. Any size picture. I then took a picture with the camera on the Captive in Fine, Normal and Super Fine. And each picture I tried to send to myself. Each said Compressing picture and when I go to send it, it stays on sending.

That guy got so fed up he told me to Google it lol. So I did, and I see some others are having the same issue. Anyone else experiencing this?

Advertisement
  2. MrTony

MrTony Banned

Sorry buddy, I'm not having it on this phone, but EVERY other time I had the issue on my old WinMo phones, it was because somebody screwed up my data plan at AT&T. They never would tell me what the ONE setting was that was off, but it was always that. I specifically recall having this issue when I went from a MediaNet data plan to an Unlimited Smartphone plan and also when I added Family Messaging to my plan. I'd call in and try to get someone else to look over your settings. I seriously doubt it's your phone.

3. Terrigno

Terrigno Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for that. You know what? I did send the picture to myself and it finally came to me, 10 minutes later. But it was a pic taken with normal setting on the phones camera. I think its just if pictures are to huge, it wont send right. I never had this problem on Verizon lol

4. sonicanatidae

sonicanatidae Well-Known Member

I dont seem to be able to send pics via MMS at all.

Experimenting a bit more today, but no progress yet.

I came from an IPhone and had unlimited data and MMS.

When I converted to Captivate I went to a Family plan,
    kept my Unlimited Data and upgraded my $20 unlimited sms/mms
    to the family version... thats basically +$10 for the same thing.

Since I live in Hickville, USA I only have EDGE, but the EDGE link
    is up.. I also have wifi in my office..

Neither transport will allow me to send..

5. keplenk

keplenk Member

AT&T's network are having upload speed problems right now (at least here in NJ). But I heard that it was an issue with the other cities as well. They are waiting for alcatel-lucent to fix the upload issues.

AT&T Blames Upload Problems On Software Bug :: App Advice

I know it was date July 7, but I tried speedtest on my wife's phone and there are still problems. I guess Alcatel or AT&T forgot about it.

If you're using WIFI and have the same problem, it might be something else.

Good luck.

6. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

Can't recieve MMS, but I can send them. Anyone else?

7. MrTony

MrTony Banned

I took a pic at max resolution (5MP) and sent it via MMS. Obviously, it compressed the image to the max allowable to be sent via MMS.

8. Pinetree09

Pinetree09 Active Member

I sent a picture to my email and received it like 5 hours later, so now I just open Gmail and send an email to myself with the image attached

9. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

I can't send MMS at all

10. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member

So is there anyone who has no issues sending and receiving mms?

11. tyte

tyte Well-Known Member

me... works flawless for me... i live in san francisco though :eek:

12. ghostfox1

ghostfox1 Well-Known Member

Mine works. On edge, it just takes a while due to slow upload speeds.

13. cypherphone

cypherphone Member

having the exact same issues when using EDGE... i can receive fine, but cant send... i went to a 3g area and had hardly any problems sending.
    ATT said they were going to change one setting on my account but it would take a week to do and that should fix the problem. ill see around thursday

14. Sharkonwheels

Sharkonwheels Well-Known Member

Nada here.

Get a notice in notification bar "Message nt sent" and a pop-up that says "Error in server response."

Been on with AT&T 611 for 30min already...

This would suck, as there's now 3 Captivates in the house - oldest son and wife jumped the Apple ship onto Android, but this ain't good....

I'm loving the cappy, and honestly, in 12 years I've been with AT&T, this test to my wife's cappy is the first time I've EVER sent an MMS :)

T

15. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

I tested by taking a picture and sending it to my wife's iPhone via MMS and it worked just fine.

16. Sharkonwheels

Sharkonwheels Well-Known Member

Hah! Couple of you were right, indeed!

While I was on hold, and reading MrTony's post, I remembered that when I upgraded my main line (3GS) to Captivate, they had to remove Family Messaging Unlimited to do the upgrade, and then put it back.

Guess what happened?

Yeah - he fixed it by re-adding Family Messaging Unlimited, and MMS is working here, send and receive.

Tks for posting info, folks - let's keep this going on all threads, and most people can call AT&T most times knowing what their issue is beforehand!!!!

Now to get more than 1-2 bars in my home...

And no, it ain't the Cappy - EVERY PHONE we've had here the past 10 years has exhibited the same issues. Guy on the phone did say a new 3G tower was coming up just East of my house on August 27th, so let's see if that helps some!

T

17. rlb4

rlb4 Well-Known Member

So what if we have no messaging plan at all? I only occasionally send texts. Will I be able to send a MMS message?

18. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Well on my phone the issue was dumb.

I hadn't been able to send or receive SMS or MMS message on my Captivate. When I got it, I had asked the AT&T rep to remove the 200-for-$5 thing I had on my plan since I wasn't using it enough to make it worth it. Turns out she disabled texting entirely by not replacing it with the pay-per-text "plan". Pay-per-text is a free line item on your plan but it has to be present for texting to be enabling.

So yes, you can text without a extra-cost add-on to your plan, but you need the free pay-per-text option on your plan otherwise it won't work. So if you're having trouble, call AT&T and have them confirm.

19. rlb4

rlb4 Well-Known Member

I can send texts now, so that means I should be able to send MMS messages?

20. cypherphone

cypherphone Member

still a no go on sending mms... works on 3g fine, but hardly ever on edge.. ATT is saying its phone hardware related now..

21. brefmint

brefmint Member

There is no 3g where I live. Only Edge. I have not been able to text a picture with this phone yet. I can recieve them but sending fails every time. I popped my SIM card back in my Nokia e71x and it sent pictures just fine. Anybody know what's up with this?

22. acp

acp Well-Known Member

I was able to send MMS using the app Handcent SMS, also this app wakes the phone up when you get a text. Much better than stock settings.

23. lionheartck

lionheartck Member

Download handcent SMS, under settings and send message settings, set maximum mms size to 100k. I think the captivate likes to send pics at 600k. The default messaging app won't let you set a maximum mms size, and EDGE is no good for big uploads.

24. brefmint

brefmint Member

I'm getting force close error messages trying to attach pics with Handcent. I really love this phone but if I can't send pic texts then it's not worth having.

25. Prim8

Prim8 Well-Known Member

I get the force close error with Handcent as well.