• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate or Droid X

Ravenbrook

Jul 14, 2010
Been doing a lot of research and I like both phones. My contract with AT&T is about up and I'm not thrilled with AT&T but it's not to bad in central Florida. My big question is just how big a difference is there with the Skin on the two of them? I've held the X in my hand but not the Captivate yet. Is there a big difference between the two software wise? Anything software wise that one can do that the other can't?

Isn't the bootloader on the X locked down to the extent they're not sure if they'll ever be able to get custom roms (stock 2.1, 2.2 f.ex) on it? I'm sure someone will find a way around it eventually, but who knows how long that will take? Just something to take into consideration. Verizon also has their Galaxy S variant, the "Fascinate" coming out sometime (hopefully) soon.

Upvote 0
The thing with the Galaxy S devices is that the size is so odd (not in a bad way). When using them (for me the Vibrant) next to a 3.7 inch phone, the screen looks so much larger, but the phone doesn't feel too big. Kind of like a 3.7 with a case on it. When I held the X next to the Vibrant I had with me, the X's screen did look bigger, but the difference didn't appear as noticeable from 3.7-->4 inches. Yet the X feels a good bit more hefty. Not sure if this is just me...

Software wise they pretty much do the same things, with different interfaces. I like the clean look of TouchWiz, and yet I like the kind of rustic image of Shadowblur or whatever people call it. Both have their lag issues though. Although I do have to say TouchWiz is more customizable.

The still pictures on the X were better while I was testing, but the 720p on the Captivate was without a doubt the winner.

Also, the Captivate comes locked down by ATT, but you have the option to root to enable the sideloading of ups, elimination of TouchWiz lag, or flashing a custom ROM, as well as other functions. The Droid X, as you have probably heard, *supposedly* has an encrypted bootloader and other little tricks that keep you from flashing a ROM onto the phone. For some it's an issue, for others it is not.

Upvote 0
I've got the captivate, co worker got the x.

Screens - Captivate wins here, it's dead sexy.. Although the droids is bigger

Power - No denying it, Droid is a powerhouse. Although Captivates 3d power is better so if you game stick with AT&T.

Style - The droid to me is a machine, it was built to be powerful and it is. But it's a brick with a buldge, not much style. The captivate is much nicer, I wouldn't call it sexy but it's much nicer than the droid IMHO anyway.

As far as non market apps. There's already hacks out to get around it. If your technically savy at all it's a non issue. I've got my phone rooted and hacked to allow all non market apps. AT&T removes the setting from the GUI but it's still there and can be changed with the ADK.

My biggest complaints are, Touch Wiz (although motoblur doesn't seem much better) and lack of flash. That last one really burns me. Although the camera is much better than my old 3GS.

I'm obviously slightly jaded but if given a choice of either I'd stick with the samsung.

Reactions: Lostsoul
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones