• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate or Wait for Nexus-s

Well if you are wanting to get a phone that is almost 100% sure to get all updates almost as soon as google rolls them out, I would get the nexus s. I am sure eventually it will be on all carriers soon enough.
well the original nexus 1 was a gsm phone, so it wont be available on verison or sprint. but if the rumors are true it will only be sold by google, so im sure it will cost quite alot as there are only no-contract pricing. but last i heard it is still just a rumor and hasnt been confirmed

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
well the original nexus 1 was a gsm phone, so it wont be available on verison or sprint. but if the rumors are true it will only be sold by google, so im sure it will cost quite alot as there are only no-contract pricing. but last i heard it is still just a rumor and hasnt been confirmed

I guess I should have said "useable" on all carriers, the way i said it may have implied a carrier discount. Though the nexus 1 was ment to be on all carriers, though near the end there was one that even google suggested everyone to not use theirs but someone else's phone.

There is also the fact that the nexus 1 does get the latest android version almost as soon as google can push it out and it is the recommended phone for android developers since it has a vanilla android on it.

Though most of the android phones out there are good phones, not to include minor querks, outside of examples like the moto backflip.

Upvote 0
Forget the Nexus S (why does that name sound made-up hmmm... Galaxy S + Nexus = ???), rumors of a newer, better, larger Samsung flagship phone w/ a 4.3 or 4.5" screen, 1.2 ghz processor, 8mp camera with flash, 1080p video recording (basically what the captivate should have been)... dont expect it to hit stateside at all (unless us cellular picks it up!)

Link: Exclusive: Samsung 'flagship' phone with Gingerbread and huge display coming in early 2011 (update) -- Engadget

When I read the Engadget release this morning, my first thoughts were for this to either be released on AT&T, or be provided as an unlocked version (similar to the way Nexus 1 was released).

Upvote 0
When I read the Engadget release this morning, my first thoughts were for this to either be released on AT&T, or be provided as an unlocked version (similar to the way Nexus 1 was released).

You're probably right, it might be unlocked similar to the nexus one.
My failed hopes arise from holding off on the Captivate to wait on the Desire HD which never came to fruition. And just as I order the Captivate, I get news of this to be released in the next 4-5 months, just my luck...

Although, the fact that they themselves arent even sure if it's 4.3" or 4.5" has me confused as to if this is real or fake...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones