Captivate sales number?

Last Updated:

1. rubiconjp

rubiconjp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Over 80% of iPhone 4 sales were from previous iPhone owners. I have seen figures from 77% when iPhone 4 were just introduced, to 84% a couple of month later to a recent 80% that I saw recently. So Apple said they sold 14.1 million iPhones for the 3rd qtr of 2010, and this is WORLDWIDE, not just on ATT, and assuming that the 80% upgrade figure is correct, we have 2.82 mil of new iPhone customers. In about the same span of time, Samsung got 4.51 millions of new Galaxy S users (worldwide).

UPDATE: Samsung has also released monthly sales figures of the phone. Samsung sold 530,000 units in June, 1.34m in July, 1.37m in August and 1.8m in September.
    Samsung Galaxy S sales pass 5m units worldwide including 2m in US and 1.3m in SK [Updated] | Samsung Hub

Within the US, Samsung sold 2 million Galaxy phones between ATT and TMobile. Now ATT is almost 3 times bigger than TMobile, and based on the androidforums.com traffic (not really scientific here), ATT Captivate traffic outnumbers TMobile Vibrant traffic with more than 2 to 1 margin, so we might have ATT selling 1.3 mil of Captivates so far.

So recap - 2.82 millions of new iPhone users worldwide, 4.51 milions of new Galaxy S users worldwide during the 3rd qtr 2010, and probably about 1.3 millions of new ATT Captivate users since its intro on ATT on July 18th.

Comment?

Advertisement
  2. dmp316

dmp316 Well-Known Member

wow i really was looking for this info. I wanted to know about the captaive sales. Seems very good.

3. Cuerbo

Cuerbo Well-Known Member

Where are you getting this 2.82 new iPhone users worldwide? Can you post articles to back this up?

4. rubiconjp

I have read from ATT, it's 77% of iPhone 4 sales were from existing iPhone users:

84% iPhone 4's Went to Existing AT&T Customers - Softpedia

From Rogers in Canada - 80%:

Rogers: 80% of iPhone 4 activations were to existing customers | TiPb

So if you take 14.1 mil iPhone sales (iPhone 4 and 3GS but probably mostly iPhone 4) and x 23% (let's use the 77% figure) = 3.24 mil of new iPhone 4 customers.

Again, this is assuming that the 77-80% sales to existing iPhone userbase is still true.

5. Aerimus

Aerimus Well-Known Member

Fun read...HUGE stretch

6. PJG

PJG Member

To Bad Apple was using fudged numbers, It's being reported that Jobs misled folks and Quoted numbers when it was Iphones shipped to stores Not Sales to end users...figures:rolleyes:

Check out CNet for the facts..

7. Cuerbo

Cuerbo Well-Known Member

Can you post the article, checked CNET and don't see anything that backs up your statement. Googled as well and couldn't find anything either.

8. rubiconjp

be specific... back up what statement? I posted several links already.

9. jas2k9

jas2k9 Well-Known Member

Is there anything in the articles about the roughly 1/3rd that were/are returned (sometimes 3 or 4 times) due a laundry list of issues? As well as those that get exchanged for something else.

Additionally, with captivates now nearing freebie stage versus minimum $200 for an iphone is that also a fair comparison?

I mean we do want to make fair comparisons - at least I do.

10. rubiconjp

AT&T announced today that in 3rd qtr 2010:

- Activated 8 million smartphones altogether.
    - Of that 8 mil, 5.2 mil were iPhones (4 and 3GS, though I am sure most were iPhone 4).
    - Of the remaining 2.8 mil smartphones activated this past qtr, my calculation was that 1.3 millions of those were the Samsung Captivates.
    - ATT now has 92.8 million subscribers (same size as Verizon now).
    - 80% of customers signing contracts this past qtr were for smartphones. That's huge!

Since Apple said that they sold 14.1 million iPhones 3rd qtr, and 5.2 millions of those in the US, that means that Apple sold almost 9 million iPhones outside of the US.

Note that outside of the US, almost all phones cannot be sold locked to a carrier, thus no such thing as carrier exclusivity (such as with ATT in the US).