• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Captivate stuck in a boot loop. Please help

Tried this ( the terminal emulator method)

xda-developers - View Single Post - [MOD] STATUS BAR MOD'S 'Change the colour of your status bar and now pulldown :D'

then got a boot loop. Had Clockwork installed and created a backup, but now cannot return to clockwork mod recovery, only the stock recovery. I need to get into clockwork without going through ROM manager. Can someone help me out please?

If you've flashed clockworkmod recovery, you should be able to boot into that mode using the same buttons you hold. If you can't you have to use Odin and get back to stock again...

See here Stock ROM
I'll bring it here and post it in the forums....I know people will need it here as well. Sorry someone took so long to reply....

Upvote 0
If you've flashed clockworkmod recovery, you should be able to boot into that mode using the same buttons you hold. If you can't you have to use Odin and get back to stock again...

See here Stock ROM
I'll bring it here and post it in the forums....I know people will need it here as well. Sorry someone took so long to reply....

Entering into recovery may produce the same result because the last update.zip is going to be the battery mod. If this happens, flash with Odin one click back to stock. Download one click lagfix from the market and use it only to root the phone that way you can use your back up of either Titanium Backup or Rom Manager to get back all of your data and settings. All three have saved my ass a few times. Don't worry about flashing with Odin, it won't touch anything on your internal sd. Also, if you have the donated version of either app once you install it from the Market all of your data should still be there.

Upvote 0
Hey here is my problem. I have/had flashed the current (JH7) firmware. While I tried to uninstall the lagfix my phone went into boot loop hell. I tried to put the phone into download mode. ( My procedure was remove battery,sim card than put battery back in hold down both up/down volume buttons plug in USB) of course with Odin running on my pc before plugging in. I can not get the device into download mode at all. I have flashed my captivate before. I cant install packages because the last update.zip was the evo black bar mod. Now I have also deleted all user data in recovery mode ..........can I even get into download mode or did i just totally brick my phone without even way to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really did try researching this put without the phone getting into download mode I dont know what else I can do.

Upvote 0
heymanator:

Sounds like I'm in the exact same situation as you, except instead of trying to install the lagfix, I was trying to install SREv1.3c to enable USB tethering, overclocking, etc.

I can't get into download mode largely because I can't boot with Vol Up and Vol Down pressed if my phone is plugged into USB because it'll just show the battery charging screen and won't boot the phone (no AT&T logo, no Galaxy S logo).

I can't enable USB Debugging because I can't boot to the OS. If I power on without any buttons pressed down, Odin3 detects nothing, "adb reboot download" returns "err device not found" on both Linux and Windows, and once my phone goes from the AT&T white screen to the Galaxy S screen, it freezes there and never gets to the OS.

I ordered it from Amazon so they won't let me exchange it for a new one at a local AT&T store (according to Amazon).

Hopefully I don't have to send it back! Let me know if you guys know of any tricks I've yet to try.

Upvote 0
Hey here is my problem. I have/had flashed the current (JH7) firmware. While I tried to uninstall the lagfix my phone went into boot loop hell. I tried to put the phone into download mode. ( My procedure was remove battery,sim card than put battery back in hold down both up/down volume buttons plug in USB) of course with Odin running on my pc before plugging in. I can not get the device into download mode at all. I have flashed my captivate before. I cant install packages because the last update.zip was the evo black bar mod. Now I have also deleted all user data in recovery mode ..........can I even get into download mode or did i just totally brick my phone without even way to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really did try researching this put without the phone getting into download mode I dont know what else I can do.

So you didn't format before installing the JH7?

Upvote 0
Sounds like these lag fixes seem to be the issue, or it may just be the kernel. All I know is @heymanator and @elimisteve you guys both can't get back into download mode. When both of you try to boot into the OS it freezes.

Now I know @elimisteve you tried one method through Odin, but there's a second one below it. Try that as well. Here's the link for both of you. I hope this works, let me know, I'll keep looking.....

[STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers - xda-developers
Make sure you have the latest drivers as well.

Reactions: garboko
Upvote 0
I got my on ebay and did one of the lag fix and ran into the same problem. Boot screen with the S then just blank but the power is still one. Almost crap my pant!
After a quick research, [STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers - xda-developers
It took 4-5 time to get it in USB mode, don't be discourage the fix work just read all of the difference tips/instructions and keep trying. I have to do it twice now, but thank to Titanium Backup, the second time was less painful.

Upvote 0
Huzzah! My phone has been saved! I used the Odin factory reset posted in elimisteve's linked thread. Worked flawlessly.

Also, for those having a hard time getting the phone into download mode, make sure you're continuously holding the volume keys down even after you've plugged the data cord into the phone. I messed up a few times because I was letting up to quickly.

Upvote 0
I'm new to the android scene and of course I've made some mistakes, but how doesn't. I got stuck at the boot screen and did a little bit of researching and bam in 5 min i was back up running. Very easy one click downloader, and hold both volume buttons until is starts downloading, don't forget to have one click opened before you plug in your phone, i have a captivate

Good luck, and follow instructions very easy

Upvote 0
I'm also stuck in a boot loop as well. Anyone on this thread resolve their issue? I've heard that clockwork recovery can help in this situation, but I'm not currently able to get the update.zip outside of using the recovery mod app.

I was stuck on the same issue. What I did was, open ODIN, hold down volue+ and volume - and then plugin the usb which put me in downloading mode. I went crazy for like 30 minutes trying to do volume+/- and then power which kept putting me into battery charge mode.

Upvote 0
ok i have the same boot thingy problem except ive never rooted and dont know what you guys are talking about. It has happened to me 2 times the first time i didnt know what to do and sent it in and got a refurbished one. the second time it just happened the screen like shut off and now its stuck at the att boot logo or the charging screen. Also the refresh rate is messed up. Help please? i dont want to have to wait another 2 months without a phone just for them to send me another one. :(

Upvote 0
All it takes it a little bit of reading to find the answers.

Take out the battery, SIM card and Micro SD card. Open Odin3 (I897UCJF6) on the PC. Plug in the USB cable to the computer. Put the battery in the phone. Hold volume up and down then plug in the USB cable to the phone, DO NOT LET GO OF VOLUME UP/DOWN. Your phone will enter Download Mode and be recognized by Odin, click start to re-flash JF6.

Upvote 0
I have samsung galaxy s recently upgraded to 2.2froyo. I can't get it into download mode at all. Have tried, volume up/ down/ power no go. volume up/ power, no go. volume down/ power, no go. center button/ power, no go. All it does is loads, plays mini vid graphic, then the S, and then goes black and vibrates intermittently. So went another way, downloaded the Odin3 one click... it says
Quote:
Method 3:(KEY COMBO)
  1. Remove the battery, sim card, sdcard if you have one
  2. Insert the battery
  3. Hold both Volume buttons (from i9000 just down, don't touch the power button)
  4. Plug in the USB cable and continue holding both Volume buttons

Done that, and just got the battery icon on screen... then black and just the vibrating...
I have noticed though, in the Odin3, that something is added and in ID:COM it has "com:5" or something, I forget offhand. When I press starts, it says "ID:0:005 Odin v 3 engine (5) file analysis"... and then "OSM: All Threads Completed (success 0/ failed 1)

Anyone got some advice please and ty :\

I know the button trick does work... cos I remember AGES ago when I first got phone and I tried to root, I could get in there... but now *sighs* :\​

Upvote 0
I had this same problem exact, I was able to boot into clockwork recovery but that was it. Then i tried to see if i could get my puter to recognioze adb in clockwork. turns out the key test does this. I initisted a key test and the typed adb devices in command prompt. THere it was! I entered adb reboot download and bang! hope that helps...

Upvote 0
I am also stuck in this loop I have tried the 3 bootup methods still cannot get to the debug or download screen ... either i get the At&t world phone logo and it turns off then the logo again or I get the greay battery pic with a that time circle looking thing and it keeps on flashing .... I am really please help... i have followed the exact steps with no result... thanks.

Upvote 0
I am also stuck in this loop I have tried the 3 bootup methods still cannot get to the debug or download screen ... either i get the At&t world phone logo and it turns off then the logo again or I get the greay battery pic with a that time circle looking thing and it keeps on flashing .... I am really please help... i have followed the exact steps with no result... thanks.

same problem help me. how about the jig, someone tried this method.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones