Captivate support under Ubuntu

Last Updated:

1. linuxdood

linuxdood Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Unlike my Backflip which showed up with all default settings with adb devices, this shows nothing. Also, does not register as a mass storage device either unlike the Backflip. WTF Samsung and or AT&T, what the hell have you done to protocols?

Advertisement
  2. RP88

RP88 Member

I'm using Lucid and everything works fine. On the captivate, go to settings > applications > USB connection > and set it to Mass storage. Then reconnect the phone to your computer.

3. saintdanbert

saintdanbert Well-Known Member

Have you managed to "tether" or use the Captivate as a modem?

~~~ 0;-Dan

4. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

im dual booting windows 7 and ubuntu, works fine under both. had to go over to windows for kies but thats all

5. saintdanbert

saintdanbert Well-Known Member

I am not worthy!!

Can you tell me how to get it to work and then I'll chat with my broadband carrier? I'm running Froyo so I'd like to activate the hotspot feature, too, but I'll settle for laptop--> USB--> Captivate--> broadband. I would then use "connection share" from the laptop.

I got USB access to both the internal and external storage, but I cannot use the phone as a modem to -- dialup or broadband( 3G, Edge, etc). I've suspected that this was a "tethering plan" issue with AT&T, but I keep hearing that folks got it to work.

Please tell me you can and will help me solve this?!

Thanks in advance,
    ~~~ 0;-Dan

6. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

i rarely boot into windows anymore, but in ubuntu i just now checked the mobile ap setting and then connected my computer the the wireless network made when i turned on mobile ap and it worked. i didnt have to do anything to get it to work. i dont know about the tethering though, i only used the hotspot, i actually just now did it again and works fine

7. DannyB

DannyB Well-Known Member

On Ubuntu on a netbook, I see USB storage just fine. On the phone:
    Settings --> Applications --> USB settings
    then pick mass storage.

If you want to surf the net through the phone without rooting there is a way. Not "tethering" in the sense of general purpose network routing, and not as convenient as WiFi.

Install Android development tools (simply un-tar-gz the archive). Use ADB. Setup a tunnel to a port on the phone. On phone use Proxoid for an Http only proxy or use Tetherbot for a SOCKS5 proxy. Change browser settings to use either HTTP or SOCKS proxy. Surf away. No rooting. But somewhat less convenient. You can setup a quick simple batch script on Ubuntu to start everything and another script to tear it all down again.