• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate vs Iphone 4

I am a recent convert from the original 3G. And I love this phone and it's open customization. And yes, I am having these issues with the Captivate. LAG, Slowness to open apps, Screen turning black when switching out of apps. Freezing... I've passed the 30 days so theres no going back for me, and I didnt want to go back to the iphone. At least not in the next 2 years :D:D. I hope 2.2 if we get it will make the phone run a little bit smoother.

Upvote 0
As much as it pains my little open-source heart to say this, Google needs to lock down the kinds of customization Phone vendors and Carriers can do if they are going to save their ecosystem. App market developers can't be expected to write software for so many varieties of Android and customers can't continue to live with such uncertainty.

Nexus One was a good start...

If Android 3.0 were to usher in an age of phones that:
1. Are all on the same version and all get OS updates at the same time.
2. Aren't pre-loaded with tons of crap
I think Android would be unstoppable.

As it is the Android universe is too much like an unfortunate child of Linux & PC. A fractured operating system environment, preloaded with crapware.

I completely agree with you. I would much rather have stock android on my captivate because we would have been running 2.2 for months now. Then it wouldn't depend on Samsung or any other company to get us our updates, which are our updates. We have android and android has an update that's been out for months. HOWEVER, I think custom UIs should be allowed BUT they should never be forced upon the user. We should be able to choose to run touchwiz 3.0 on android 2.1 OR stock android 2.2. Maybe then companies would have more incentive to create decent overlays.

Upvote 0
I believe that the issue of fragmentation will eventually be sorted out by pressure within the market place. Personally when I remind myself of just how young Android is, I don't see it as such a dramatic problem. Certainly not to the extent some journalists or bloggers would have us believe. In order to sell, or capture the readers interest many of these articles are quite negative. I'd much rather have fragmentation issues than a locked down system like iOS.

Upvote 0
So after a few days using the iPhone, I'm still loving it. Unfortunately I have iOS 4.1, so I can't jailbreak yet, but other than that no complaints. Clearly I'm an isheep, but it's alright, facetiming with my parents and friends from other schools is pretty cool. I figured I'd never use it, haha

I'm curious if you will still use it once the novelty wears off.

Upvote 0
Thanks rfound but cmt074 mentioned a wallpaper that dynamically changed depending on the weather. I already use beautiful widgets but a live weather background would be sweeeet!!!!
I think it's called Beautiful Live, I've got it as my wallpaper, it's neat. I haven't had a rainy day yet, but I'm waiting to see if it gets cloudy and rains - it already changes with the sunrise/sunset. I'm new to the Droid world, so all things fascinate me right now, I'm easily amused :)

Reactions: Endoran
Upvote 0
So yeah i havent been here in awhile and looking around it seems like i missed a bunch of rumors, news and all that jazz

i finally went on over and got myself an iphone 4

I can't remember the guy who works for Apple's name who posted here and told me not to get an iphone 4 but i decided against it

and got to say

I LOVE APPLE:

1)
The ease of fuse when you turn the phone on is just...wow...Yeah it may be dumbed down for incompetent users but it's just easy to use right out the box
and i like that...Usually with any given android phone I have they work pretty much the same but they are tweaked slightly different and you have to figure out how it works

Small things that i had an issue with are not an issue with apple like they are with Android

1)Contact ID: The picture isn't some small square like an Android and it's grainy, it takes up the whole screen when they call and I love it on my iphone
2)Facebook has push notifications and lets me know whenever somebody does or says something on my profile
3)GPS works fine(This is a captivate thing only)
4)Surprisingly no signal issues(I discovered signal problems on my captivate

That being said.....

I AM IN LOVE & MARRIED TO ANDROID
Yeah, apple actually does all the things i complain about android not doing
but for one

I am addicted to the size...I am a normal girl with normal girl hands and i like to size of the captivate vs the iphone

Retina Vs Super Amoled: it's a gimmick to me but i like it better on my captivate

Yeah, Android has less Apps but i discovered the Apps really aren't that much better on Apple's(Aside from the games)

Oh and my bank has an app

But the one reason why I am selling my Iphone and coming back to Android is

1)I can pocket some cash-Seriously, someone wants to pay 700 bucks for an iphone 4...my captivate is like 380
2)Itunes-I love it on my old ipod touch but i hate how i have to use it to do everything

I like to drag and drop things
3)I miss live wall papers
4)I miss multi-tasking(the android way) and I miss the touch buttons :)

I now see why people hate the walled garden of Apple!
Just wanted to share this with you guys

I bet you thought i was about to start trolling haha

Reactions: Andrewdroid
Upvote 0
welcome back :)

you and I share a similar experience. I was using the Moto droid since it came out. When I started working for AT&T I thought I might as well try the Iphone. At first I thought it to be amazing, but then I got too bored too fast, and switched back to android when the Aria came out.

Its always greener on the android side ;) (literally)

lol that was cute, i like that ;)

And yeah, dont get me wrong
had i never experienced android
i would so be an apple girl

but it's like drinking Pepsi or Coke
and then drinking Sam's Choice...it's not the same!

Now im trying to decide if I want a Captivate again or do i want to go
back to VZW and get the fascinate...idkkkk

Upvote 0

If you do jump ship to vzw i personally would prefer the droid x over an galaxy s phone, but thats personal preference. I am still on the fence if samsung knows what they are doing with mobile phones. I have much more faith in htc or motorola right now

Upvote 0
Unless the coverage for ATT is amazingly bad, I would not recommend going to Verizon for the fascinate (since it has the same GPS problems and is cluttered with Bing instead of google)

That being said, If you do want to go to verizon, check out the Droid X.

Having both verizon and att, I think they are practically the same carrier except Verizon gets a bit better coverage (in my area) but AT&T 3g speeds trump verizon almost 3x, and they have roll over minutes (prices of the plans are the same)

Now for the most important thing:

Pepsi beats coke. (at least thats what I think :) )

but coke products beat pepsi products (Barqs rootbeer mmmmm)

Upvote 0
I think it's called Beautiful Live, I've got it as my wallpaper, it's neat. I haven't had a rainy day yet, but I'm waiting to see if it gets cloudy and rains - it already changes with the sunrise/sunset. I'm new to the Droid world, so all things fascinate me right now, I'm easily amused :)

Sorry I didn't get back into this thread to answer to original question! Yes you are right - it's called Beautiful Live Wallpaper - it works if you have Beautiful Widgets installed.

Yes I've had a few rainy days and it show a rainy day in the background. I hoping it'll be a long while before I find out what the snow background looks like :).

Reactions: reinbeau
Upvote 0
Oh i originally had the droid x before coming
To att for my captivate

So yeah I'm pretty familiar with their phone and networks

But yeah I actually love my iPhone but I love android a lot more
And I'm probably staying on att.

I just don't know if I want to get another gps issue ridden
Captivate or just try a whole different device.

Not much I can go with lol

Question for you guys....
In my dorm I'm on edge
And the emails send quick even though
I'm on edge with my iPhone

How does this phone do when on edge.
1-2 bars

Upvote 0
I bet you thought i was about to start trolling haha
Yer absolutely right on that...

qlVNq.jpg

*Edit - & what a quality 600th post it is :cool:

Upvote 0
Oh i originally had the droid x before coming
To att for my captivate

So yeah I'm pretty familiar with their phone and networks

But yeah I actually love my iPhone but I love android a lot more
And I'm probably staying on att.

I just don't know if I want to get another gps issue ridden
Captivate or just try a whole different device.

Not much I can go with lol

Question for you guys....
In my dorm I'm on edge
And the emails send quick even though
I'm on edge with my iPhone

How does this phone do when on edge.
1-2 bars

just wondering in your dorm you dont get any wifi at all ? That would speed up the email sending over edge as far as text messaging goes, from my experience samsung phones have weaker signals then other phones

Upvote 0
I agree about the four buttons. I wish they were physical buttons too. A lot of times I would touch one of them, and then wonder whether I actually didn't touch it, or I did but it's just slow to respond. So I end up waiting a second or two, and sometimes it responds and sometimes I have to try again.

If it were physical, I would KNOW when I actually successfully pressed the button and would wait for it to respond.

I hate having haptic feedback overall. I wish they would allow me to have it just on those four buttons.

Upvote 0
I agree about the four buttons. I wish they were physical buttons too. A lot of times I would touch one of them, and then wonder whether I actually didn't touch it, or I did but it's just slow to respond. So I end up waiting a second or two, and sometimes it responds and sometimes I have to try again.

If it were physical, I would KNOW when I actually successfully pressed the button and would wait for it to respond.

I hate having haptic feedback overall. I wish they would allow me to have it just on those four buttons.
mine is only on those 4 buttons, i think its on the samsung keyboard also but i dont use it so im not real sure about that

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones