Captivate will not turn onSupport

Last Updated:

1. gst19psi

gst19psi New Member This Topic's Starter

So I just got my captivate & went to do the OTA update & when it went to install it the said install failed rebooting phone & then it went black & has not started since it doesn't do anything no matter what I do or how I plug it in. I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have tried all the methods of getting the phone into recovery mode, but as i said it will not even start. So any help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

You are the second person today reporting a "perma brick" after trying the OTA. This has happened to a handful of people and according to an article in gizmodo (i think it was giz anyway) they are the only reported cases of a perma-bricked Captivate.. really sucks.

I would suggest take it back to where you got it and get it replaced. There are a few recovery methods you could try, but your best bet would be exchange it IMO.

3. gst19psi

great just what i wanted 2 hear

4. Infinite-t

Sorry bro, that does suck. If you want to save yourself a trip (maybe) and are feeling adventurous you could try to recover it yourself.

But if you have already tried all the recovery boot methods and stuff it wont work anyway.

You have tried booting into download mode?

5. gst19psi

I dont recall booting it to download mode Ill try anything @ this point.

6. Infinite-t

Ok, before you try this here is the disclaimer;

If you take it back, they will replace it for you.

If you try this recovery (asuming you can boot into download mode) and it works, there is some chance your phone may not be 100% "right". I have never heard 1st hand of anything getting screwed up by it, but i guess it is a possibilty. If you can get into download mode and this doesnt work, your still dead. It is highly unlikely that they could find out you tried to "service" it yourself and give you crap. I dont know how likely that is, but anything can happen.

This method has worked for me and hundreds, probably thousands of others but there is no garantee it will work.

If you still want to try this, here is what to do:

[STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY - xda-developers

here is the abridged version. Download this in your PC:
    http://www.thevod.org/misc/captivate/I897UCJF6-final-OCD-REV0.rar

Unzip it and launch it.

Open your phone (while off) remove the battery, the sim and the SD card (if you have one).

Put the battery back in, leave the phone off.

With odin open, your phone off, the USB cable connected to your PC but not the phone yet.

Hold the volume down button, no other buttons.

Plug in the usb cable to your phone.

Odin should detect it (make sure the drivers for your phone are installed first!)

If it has, click the start button.

The rest is automatic. If it has worked, your phone should reboot into it "factory" condition.

jkl21019 likes this.
  7. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

if the update fails and your phone goes black and will not turn on at all you are permabricked. it happened to me, i contacted samsung, shipped my phone back to them and received a new one a week later.

8. The Shape

The Shape Well-Known Member

Did you at least try to remove the battery for a little while and then put it back in?

9. Infinite-t

That's what i thought. If he just purchased it tho, he could probably take it back to where he got it for a replacement, I would imagine?

10. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

yea i would think so, especially if its from att. i got mine from best buy and it bricked after i had it for nearly 3 months so i had to send it back to samsung

11. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Well-Known Member

Yep happenef to me. I stopped the dl due to poor connection. When I went to resume the phone right the dl was complete and applied the incomplete fw. Completely bricked. Went to my ATT store to get a new one (a month ago).

12. ashar44

ashar44 New Member

Hi...
    i have a samsung captivate. my problem is.when i update my android software using ODI... that will flash the older version. after that when i started for new version. it does not working to install. i think i will do again . after two months. i did again. but my samsung did not display anything. i went to the repairing shop. he said your volume button is damage , thats why downloading mode does not working. kindly solve this issue. how i can go in downloading mode...